How do you delete an e-mail which you've unintentionally sent?

Most of the folks working at offices are prone to doing unwanted mistakes at times. Sometimes these mistakes are so grave that it could cost them their job. Today one of my colleagues happened to send a mail addressed to a client along with CC to another client, from Microsoft Outlook. This is a potentially hazardous situation for the company. I wonder if there is a possibility to delete the mail from the sender side itself and save the poor guy from a briefing tomorrow? It would be really helpful is any of my fellow CEans knows a proper solution to this (besides ofcourse hacking the clients' e-mail IDs).

Replies

• Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Words once spoken, cannot be taken back. I think same applies to the electronic mail service.
    Once you hit on "Send" the data bits are already converted to electric & re-converted to data & email pops on other side.

So technically, without hacking client's account I don't think it's possible.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    I think it is not possible now but you can make your self secure. In gmail there is one option in labs tab to undo sent mail before some period of time.

That's not full solution but you have few seconds to think on that even after pressing send button.
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    If you are using gmail, there is an "Undo Email" option that appears right after you send the email. If you want to stop that email from being sent, you can use that option to stop that particular email from being sent. However, this undo option is available only for a very short time after you initially send it.

If you and the recipient to whom you sent the mail are both using outlook and Microdoft Exchange Account for email management, then there is an option for recalling sent messages, as long as the recipient has not read them. ie., it will delete the particular mail or replace it with another mail as long as the recipient didnt read it. If he had already read it, he will still get a message saying "xxx would like to recall the following mail etc etc.." but the damage is already done. If the recipient had not yet read the mail, it could be deleted or replaced.

#-Link-Snipped-#
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    silverscorpion
    If you are using gmail, there is an "Undo Email" option that appears right after you send the email. If you want to stop that email from being sent, you can use that option to stop that particular email from being sent. However, this undo option is available only for a very short time after you initially send it.

If you and the recipient to whom you sent the mail are both using outlook and Microdoft Exchange Account for email management, then there is an option for recalling sent messages, as long as the recipient has not read them. ie., it will delete the particular mail or replace it with another mail as long as the recipient didnt read it. If he had already read it, he will still get a message saying "xxx would like to recall the following mail etc etc.." but the damage is already done. If the recipient had not yet read the mail, it could be deleted or replaced.

#-Link-Snipped-#

We're using a paid e-mail domain from Google and it's based on POP3. In your link, the option to recall messages in Outlook is not possible for POP3 it says.

I've just tired it between mine and my colleagues accounts and the initial mail still seems to be showing!
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Ouch! Its time for damage control in situations like this. Depending on how hazardous this was, your colleague should discuss with your supervisor on how to follow up with the affected parties. The faster, the better.

Mistakes happen, but they tend to be overlooked if you are prompt in your resolution and follow up with something better.
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    ash
    Ouch! Its time for damage control in situations like this. Depending on how hazardous this was, your colleague should discuss with your supervisor on how to follow up with the affected parties. The faster, the better.

Mistakes happen, but they tend to be overlooked if you are prompt in your resolution and follow up with something better.

He screwed up big time. There's no turning back now. He's shown one of our vendors who the other is! It's so screwed up now!
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    anoopthefriend
    He screwed up big time. There's no turning back now. He's shown one of our vendors who the other is! It's so screwed up now!
    Yea.. these things happen. Officially, client-vendor relationships are meant to be confidential. But off the record, information will always be passed around. Your boss probably has lunch with a competitors boss. And the VoIP business world is small, it won't be a surprise that clients use multiple vendors. If you are the middle man, even if your customer finds out who your supplier is, at times would still make economic sense to deal with you.

Your business development team should be shrewd enough to handle this situations. Hope for the best for your colleague.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I remember Gmail had an addon that asked people to solve some equation after they hit the 'send' button and then confirm that they 'really' want to send the mail.

The only way to delete the sent mail is to hack into receiver's email and delete it manually. 👀
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I remember Gmail had an addon that asked people to solve some equation after they hit the 'send' button and then confirm that they 'really' want to send the mail.
    It was more of a nuisance really, especially if you are shooting off urgent emails. Its better to just use the undo function like Harshad mentioned, lol.
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    In Gmail there is a feature named Undo Send

Go to Settings -> General Tab

Here you can add a delay of 10-30 secs, now it will add a delay whenever you send a new email and you can cancel it if you want
  • Neeraj Sharma
    Neeraj Sharma
    As far as MS Outlook is concerned, you can recall the email before the receiver sees it..

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Whenever we buy a transportation vehicle, let's say a Bicycle; we are free to do anything with : customize it, remove the parts you dont like, add the part you...
If you are a developer or a designer or just out of school programmer, Yahoo! India R&D is bringing the event of the year for you. A subsidiary of American...
In India, or elsewhere - finding a job isn't that easy - I agree! But being unemployed for even after one year from passing out of your college? - Is...
Motorola along with working on customizable Moto X, on the other end hideously working on the another cool Android gadget, Motorola Droid Maxx . Eveleaks in the tweet has leaked...
how many motors are present in a car