How can I be good at C Programming?

hi everyone I m learning c so please help me how i can become good in cprogramming?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    By trying to write more programs on your own 😀 and you may purchase video lectures on C programming, recommended by CrazyEngineers:

#-Link-Snipped-#
  • just2rock
    just2rock
    I will suggest you firstly follow each page line by line of kanitkar book on C.Go through each chapter & at end try to resolve each identical logical programs on a piece of paper.Then use C windows application & type in same as you had written on paper & check for errors.Next follow each line & try to think on errors arrising line by line & do it untill you understand the logic behind.

Great examples to check on with:Fibonencci series/Summation/etc
  • Brijendra singh
    Brijendra singh
    accoolaryan
    hi everyone I m learning c so please help me how i can become good in cprogramming?
    just keep practice dude
    pay more attention on writing code than reading.

best of luk.
  • vik001ind
    vik001ind
    Start with simple programs & then proceed to higher levels like data structure programs - stack,trees,tries etc.
    Kanetkar is a good book for beginners.
    Do programming on your own, its the way you will learn & embed concepts on your mind.
    If stuck, try with pen & paper in hand the concepts involved.
  • Gurjeet Singh
    Gurjeet Singh
    understand the proper logic behind the program..and try to to trace the program how the flow of control is jump from one line to another.If you are using turbo c(TC) compiler then you can use F7 command to trace the code.and use also paper to manually check the flow of loops to figure out.
  • Maelstrom
    Maelstrom
    Obviously, first read a couple of books on C Programming. I think "Let Us C" by Yashawant Kanetkar [minus the 'Windows Programming' part, I couldn't make head or tails of it!] and "Programming in ANSI C" by E. Balaguruswamy are quite good. And I don't mean reading in the general sense.

In case of any programming book, first they will introduce a concept or construct then show an example based on that. What you can try is to write a program before you see that example. Most probably, your program will be wrong, won't compile, or will be inefficient. Then see the example, understand it line-by-line, then try to write that program without looking at the example. Do this till your 'own' program is satisfactory. I found this enormously beneficial (although quite time-consuming).

Try to proceed slowly from small programs to large programs. You can be quite surprised that simple concepts such as arrays can give you a lot of trouble when programs become large (try implementing the game of Othello!!). I don't think the programs in the beginner book are large. You can take some problem statements from the Internet and try to write programs (implement some simple card games).

If you're feeling up to it, download source codes of some applications (they are available for free on many sites), and try to work the code out. It's totally mind-boggling (this is from personal experience!!), but rest assured, you skill-set is increasing all the time.
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    Well...the only way to master any language is to practice.Try to code as much as you can and debug the errors yourself.Kamthane is a good book.
  • Gurjeet Singh
    Gurjeet Singh
    i have studied kamthane..its good and well explained with numerous examples...
  • sahilshah1987
    sahilshah1987
    Kanetkar and balguruswamy worst books to learn C stay away from it.

Best Books to learn C:

Beginner:
    1. C Primer Plus - Stephen Prata
    2. A Book on C - Al Kelley, Ira Pohl
    3. C Programming: A Modern Approach - K.N. King
    4. Programming in C - Stephen Kochan

Intermediate:
    1. The C Programming Language - K&R
    2. The Standard C Library - P.J. Plauger
    3. Expert C Programming - Peter van der Linden
    4. C Traps & Pitfalls - Andrew Koenig
    5. C: A Reference Manual - Harbison & Steele
    6. The C Puzzle Book - Alan Feuer
    7. C Programming FAQs - Steve Summit
    8. Pointers on C - Kenneth Reek

Advanced:
    1. C Interfaces and Implementations - Hanson
    2. C Unleashed - Richard Heathfield et al

I can personally vouch for the quality and contents of the books aforementioned, except for King's and Hanson's. And the remaining two are highly recommended by the experts.

Apart from these books, you'll have to through numerous others that use C for algorithms (eg. Sedgewick), data structures, network and systems programming.
  • sohan.knit
    sohan.knit
    hi....it is very simple to be a good programmer..........first of all you have to clear your c lang. concepts and rest of that you have to give a good practice .
    accoolaryan
  • dikes
    dikes
    u can refer c book by kanetkar or balguruswami and u need lot of practice.
    always clear or refresh ur basics
  • Guttu
    Guttu
    By now you know that you must buy "Let Us C". It's a good book for beginners. Then start programming using any c compiler. Create programs for some basic formulas you use or those in maths. Once you are good at programming for short simple problems, move to larger and complex problems.
  • callyD
    callyD
    Agree with above comments... First understand the concepts of C language, then start practicing simple programs... once you get the confidence, move on with big programs... all the best!!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Dear friends I am rohit doing b.tech.. I am a second year year student and want your guideness in making my mini project .Can you please tell me the topics...
I'm considering using this sensor to measure indoor air quality and I can't seem to find anything indicating its accuracy. Has anyone used this before or have any extra information...
i am doing btech third year in mechanical engineering i need u'r ideas for the project on this year i am interested in production field like designing machines
Here are some softwares used in CAD/CAM. I just find this list on internet.It is not mine. You can check it whether it is useful to you or not. CNC...
There's a good article in the current issue of ME about molding the future of engineering. Sharing the Passion - October 2009 Issue