Help with Walking Stick For blind: Detecting pits and digs

Friends I'm doing my mini project Walking Stick For blind. The obstacle detection seems not much tough. But we are a liitle bit confused about pits and digs. When suddenly a pit or dig comes how can we detect it with minimum error. Can anybody please help...

Replies

• Differential
    Differential
    Hi and welcome to the forum! This is really an amazing idea!
    Could you please tell us how you detect obstacles? Can we modify that logic for detecting pits and digs as well?

This links me to something called as SONAR that I learned in school. SONAR system is used to measure the depth of sea and is used on ships.
  • gohm
    gohm
    Yes, great subject! a little more background on the project would help us to give suggestions on your questions. Sounds to me like you want a range finding device with a wide beam to compare for a measured difference (between level ground and a hole- this would eliminate a false alarm while stick is raised in walking), if finding one, using a signal or vibration as a caution alert?
  • Instinctz
    Instinctz
    With out knowing much of the details of the project.. my mind wonders. How ever I can think of one decent idea to run with for detecting such "pits". Most sensors have a large operating range (width of dectection) so I dont think sensors like sonar, and other normal means would do well.

But possibly something like the "Texas Advanced Optical Systems (TAOS) TSL230R" which is a light to frequency converter could work. Basicly your going to average the reflectivity and when it jumps to dark it could give an alarm, indicating a pit.
  • annan
    annan
    Thanks for all you people's positive responses. And sorry for not showing much details. We have just started it. And what we now think is using an ultrasonic transmitter and receiver pair for detecting objects infront and use an alert system such as ear phone. But we were confused about pit detection with minimum error. Now what we think is to use one more sensor at bottom of a projection and use a memory element and a comparator which will compare the previous reflection with the present reflection and when there is a change more than a threshold value (which will be set by PIC or microcontrol ) the alert system will be activated. But this won't be the circuit with minimum error and we wish it to be cheaper too.And there is possibility for false alarm while raising the stick though this can be eliminated by using two sensors and comparing....
  • teena angale
    teena angale
    hey even im doin a mini proj on the electronic stick.pl can u send ne the code on . it would be of great help...thanks!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    teena angale
    hey even im doin a mini proj on the electronic stick.pl can u send ne the code on . it would be of great help...thanks!
    We don't help with homework.
  • bee bharath
    bee bharath
    Use ultrasonic sensors
  • MyJuliet
    MyJuliet
    We confused the pit with minimal error detection. Now we think that is the bottom of the projector and use of more sensors, memory elements, which will now reflect a more reflective and more the former..
    Ultrasonics is the way to go about this...you might want to look at SRF02 or similar transducers. Problem is they arent available in India. However I saw these at Ensemble Technologies they have these for their project requirements. Its possible that they might be into selling these too.
  • chauhanpratyush
    chauhanpratyush
    how can ultrasonics be used here????????...would someone explain......

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Java's Amazing Features The c program statements can be written in java and interpreted using JVM...code and send the example...
Hi! I m in final year and pursuing electrical engineering. So, Can u suggest some topics for major project? As I have to make a owrking model on that topic....
Please pardon my interruption to the technical discussion. My client has entrusted me with a search for a Principal Software Engineer with knowledge of Sonet, SDH, and DWDM. This is...
hello friends......actually i want to make a project related to Information Technology (IT) field.But I m not getting any idea. Please advice me something.Give me some ideas .I am doing...
CEans, I stumbled upon summit organized by RedHat. Check the official website here -> https://www.eiseverywhere.com/ereg/...1ioit3p4a95aqpgtkr0&intcmp=70160000000Hh4MAAS As mentioned on Red Hat site - Get your work in front of hundreds of...