Help converting 6v dc to 6v ac

I am trying to figure out how to convert a small current, say a 1 amp 6v battery, into 6v ac power. I have a bizarre lamp that runs off a power adapter. I want to power it by battery, not by wall-wart. Can you help me with a simple circuit (I'm quite a nube so the more specific the better) or even a lead on a supplier?

Many thanks!

Replies

• jrsbejer
    jrsbejer
    Just search POWER CONVERTER on Google. There is a lot of prototype there.
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    well using a buck-boost inverter you can acheive 6Vac from 6Vdc,or any inverter circuit available!!!
  • icehari
    icehari
    you can use inverter circuit to change dc into ac but i don't know the exact circuit name..
  • Rifaa
    Rifaa
    U know it's not feasible what u are trying.
    First of all a 6V inverter is not practical. Inverters are really have low efficiency to begin with, and to think a 6V at mere 1A. the battery will flatten with in minutes, power loss is too much at low voltages.
    SO inverter for tht purpose is a waste of time.
    what u need is an electronic choke to light the bulb. an electronic ballast.
    It is like a inverter but not quite so. output wave is a modified sine wave to suite ones need .
    still loss is high and a 1A cell won't last long.
    get a high intensity white LED. it will be more than adequote
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    i think once we achive AC voltage we can use a transformer to achive require current and voltage...or even it can be used for ballast!!!
  • Rifaa
    Rifaa
    It's not tht..to get AC u have to have ferrite core transformer. but the switching loss is high and low power input could not give a significant output.
    U know I did try this and is a wast of time on my part.
  • reachrkata
    reachrkata
    Hmm!!

Thinking on totally different lines, if your aim is just to light a lamp that runs on 6V ac with a 6V dc supply, I think you don't need to do anything !
    By 6Vac I assume that it is 6Vrms. That being the case, just connect your bulb directly to the 6V battery and your bulb will glow with the same brightness as with 6V ac (since power dissipation is the same).

Of course as a learning you sure can do a dc-ac converter.
    Check this out for a simple example - File Not Found | University of Guelph

- Karthik
    ๐Ÿ˜
  • Rifaa
    Rifaa
    reachrkata
    Hmm!!

Thinking on totally different lines, if your aim is just to light a lamp that runs on 6V ac with a 6V dc supply, I think you don't need to do anything !
    By 6Vac I assume that it is 6Vrms. That being the case, just connect your bulb directly to the 6V battery and your bulb will glow with the same brightness as with 6V ac (since power dissipation is the same).

Of course as a learning you sure can do a dc-ac converter.
    Check this out for a simple example - File Not Found | University of Guelph

- Karthik
    ๐Ÿ˜
    I agree on tht...but the problem arises if the bulb uses gas to glow, if it is not filament u need varying voltage and also an igniter.
    and the circuit u mentioned will quite well but think about the power input. What i am telling is a 6W input is not feasible. You'll need a higher AH battery. Tht's all
    Cheers
  • Rocuro
    Rocuro
    Thanks gang. I really can't change over from AC as the lamp is a collection of 3 parts, an ac motor that rotates an inner lamp and a string of smaller lamps. I tried running the whole thing off DC alone and could get one of the lamp bulbs to light, but no motor and the light strand did not work. I suppose I could buy a 12v to 110 ac inverter, and then use the ac adaptor, but I thought you might have a lead on a simpler circuit.

I am checking out reachrkata's link now.
  • Rifaa
    Rifaa
    Rocuro
    Thanks gang. I really can't change over from AC as the lamp is a collection of 3 parts, an ac motor that rotates an inner lamp and a string of smaller lamps. I tried running the whole thing off DC alone and could get one of the lamp bulbs to light, but no motor and the light strand did not work. I suppose I could buy a 12v to 110 ac inverter, and then use the ac adaptor, but I thought you might have a lead on a simpler circuit.

I am checking out reachrkata's link now.
    ๐Ÿ˜•. previously u wanted 6VAC now 110VAC.
    Please be specific. Show a sketch of u'r plans
    then we could of more help.
    Cheers
  • Rocuro
    Rocuro
    I definitely want 6v ac. The 110v is my way of giving up.

Maybe if I go with a heavier battery? I'd like it to run for an hour or two between charges. Would a 6 amp battery still be too low? Maybe I should try to identify the current drain with a meter.

Plans: I have a lamp that I want to be mobile. It uses a 110 v wall adapter that outputs 6v ac. I want to power it with a battery.
  • Rifaa
    Rifaa
    Like I said if u go for high Ampere hour battery than u could do it.
    No problem.
    Cheers
  • Rocuro
    Rocuro
    Cool. I'll give it a try. Now reviewing the schematic referenced above I just have to figure out what L1 is.

File Not Found | University of Guelph
    L1 = 1uH

Apparently it's some kind of coil.
  • Rifaa
    Rifaa
    hmm it's a ferrite core inductor
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    sure buddy,we are waiting for your feedback!!!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hey guys!!!! I am new to this forum and have joined hoping to get a lot of ideas and help from you and your team......... I am an electronics student...
i am an IT 2nd year student , can anyone tell me where shd i go for the training. i know HTML,C,a little bit knowledge of web designing. can anyone...
Jay and Ajay are fellow artists who use coded messages to communicate to each other. Recently Ajay was put in a jail for stealing an exceptional and expensive diamond the...
Hi, first of all i would like to thank anyone who can help me in my problem in advance.๐Ÿ˜€ My Problem is that I want to make a prototype that...
CEans, Answer the questions here & post new general knowledge questions in this thread. This thread will remain active during period Feb-March '09. After this period, a new thread will...