Gyroscope

how does a gyroscope look like . Is it a physical device or just a phenomenon .
Every time i search for its image , a top with all the axis is shown .
😐

Replies

• gaurav saket
    gaurav saket
    itz a practical use device generally for balancing... exp it is widely used in ships....
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    RVignesh
    how does a gyroscope look like . Is it a physical device or just a phenomenon .
    Every time i search for its image , a top with all the axis is shown .
    A spinning top IS a gyroscope. All space vehicles use gyrocompasses since magnetic compasses do not work in space. Interestingly the common fly uses a vibrating reed as a gyroscope. That is how it always manages to land on one's nose in the most aggravating manner.

A gyroscope is an actual physical device. Any spinning object maintains its axis in an invariant direction in space. The earth for example is a gyroscope having its axis pointing to the pole star.
  • Capt Spark
    Capt Spark
    Use google.. there are lots of good resource as well as pictures of gyroscope
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    To be simple, whenever a body moves in 2 different directions, it tends to move in the third direction. This is the gyroscopic effect. Any device which is used to operate in the above mentioned manner is a gyroscope.

P.S: Have you seen the gyroscopic effects in a ship?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    I had done a lot of experiments with Gyroscopes in 1954.
    This article gives all basic info on gyroscope.
    #-Link-Snipped-#

This is an interesting video:
    Gyroscope - YouTube
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Sir,
    Can you share exactly what were your experiments in Gyroscopes about? 😀 Also can you share with us the conclusions of them and your experiences with gyroscopes? 😀
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Actually it was the last year of high school. It was a Christian Missionary School. The science teacher was a German Catholic priest. We had a set of gyros similar to the one in the video that I posted. However ours was a much heavier wheel mounted on three mutually perpendicular gymbals. They had special low friction bearings. we used an electric motor to spin the wheels at about 10000 RPM. the units could then run for quite some time. The experiments were the basic gyro experiments described in the Hyperphysics article I posted. We were too young for any research. Just to understand gyroscopes.

In the late 80s I did visit the gyro compass facility at VSSC, Trivandrum, just to see the fabrication of gyronavigation systems.
  • saimriyaz
    saimriyaz
    Gyroscope is a device used for balancing a body moving at high speed in a fluid medium....................................................like aeroplane
    All airplanes are fitted with gyroscope
  • rebellionofrebel
    rebellionofrebel
    Gyroscopic effect is for rotating bodies /or bodies with sufficient rotating parts wherein the axis of rotation undergoes a chenge in its orientation resulting in an opposite effect of balacing it by the body in a peculiar way.Gyrospoic efffect is found in Aircrafts, Ships , Satellites ,etc. U will also find them in any other mahines/vehicles as well . Ships and Aircrafts have turbines ..because of which the whole ship/aircraft undergoes a peculiar balancing effect based on the direction of rotation of the turbine and the orientation being given to the axis of rotation!!!!!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hello everybody I am currently developing a board which has ARM processor and also includes NAND flash to boot the device The thing is that I am not understanding how...
I have one idea for my website. Before I am going into topic and tells the work of website, "I am not a web-designer nor a web-developer" I am just...
Now registered apple developers can watch Apple engineers present over 100 sessions covering the latest innovations in iOS and OS X from the Apple Worldwide Developers Conference 2011 by logging...
There are 4 books in news right now for the New Revised GRE. They are : 1. Kaplan New GRE 2011-2012 Premier with CD-ROM 2. McGraw-Hill's New GRE, 2011-2012 Edition...
The overall testing time for the computer-based GRE revised General Test is about three hours and 45 minutes, plus short breaks. There are six sections to the revised test: One...