Google Launches Public DNS

The DNS or the Domain Name System is like the switchboard operator that takes easy-to-remember Web address - such as Google.com and links them to their more complex IP addresses that come as a series of numbers.

It is handled by our Internet Service Provider(ISP)

The average Internet user ends up performing hundreds of DNS lookups each day, and some complex pages require multiple DNS lookups before they start loading. This can slow down the browsing experience.

Google Public DNS resolver aims to improve the following features:

Speed: Resolver-side cache misses are one of the primary contributors to sluggish DNS responses. Clever caching techniques can help increase the speed of these responses. Google Public DNS implements prefetching: before the TTL on a record expires, we refresh the record continuously, asychronously and independently of user requests for a large number of popular domains. This allows Google Public DNS to serve many DNS requests in the round trip time it takes a packet to travel to our servers and back.

Security: DNS is vulnerable to spoofing attacks that can poison the cache of a nameserver and can route all its users to a malicious website. Until new protocols like DNSSEC get widely adopted, resolvers need to take additional measures to keep their caches secure. Google Public DNS makes it more difficult for attackers to spoof valid responses by randomizing the case of query names and including additional data in its DNS messages.

Validity: Google Public DNS complies with the DNS standards and gives the user the exact response his or her computer expects without performing any blocking, filtering, or redirection that may hamper a user's browsing experience

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I want to create table sales_master and I have already table customer see below but why it give me error see: / Name Null? Type ----------------------------------------- -------- ---------------------------- CUST_ID NOT...
Automatic spelling correction Starting this week, when your query was misspelled, Google goes a step further than asking "Did you mean..." by automatically showing results for the corrected query, saving...
In a tugoff war to capture the internet Microsoft has announced some great enhancements to its search engine Bing being touted as Bing 2.0 The features are: * The beta...
Microsoft revealed some information about what’s coming in Internet Explorer 9 and Silverlight 4 Internet Explorer 9 IE team is about three weeks into the IE 9 project. Microsoft is...
Hi, i m final yr BE student. i want to make a project on " Robot for solving rubics cube using image processing". i had go on through various sites...