Google Announces Nexus 6: Souped Up Moto X Running Android Lollipop For $649

Google proudly unveiled the Nexus 6, the latest flagship smartphone built by Motorola in #-Link-Snipped-# today. The Nexus 6 is a significant improvement from the LG made Nexus 5 as well as the second generation Moto X. The Nexus 6 is the first smartphone to run the latest Android release, Lollipop (Android 5.0) which was calledAndroid L Screenshot Tour (Dev Preview) at the time of its first unveiling. As you can see from the product images below, the Nexus 6 looks a lot like the Moto X (2014) but has been considerably improved than the latter both inside and outside. On first glance you notice the Gorilla Glass 3 protected 5.96inch AMOLED display with Quad HD (2560x1440 pixels) resolution and a pixels per inch figure of 493. Motorola has thankfully kept the dual front facing speaker setup for good sound quality to go with the large screen.

Nexus 6

Inside the Nexus 6, we find a Qualcomm Snapdragon 805 SoC that houses a 2.7GHz quad-core Krait 450 CPU and Adreno 420 GPU. While RAM figures are missing from #-Link-Snipped-#, we can safely assume that its 3GB because other smartphones housing the Snapdragon 805 such as the Samsung Announces Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy Note Edge At IFA 2014have the same capacity. Nexus smartphones have been constantly criticised in the past for average cameras, so Google decided to do something radical with the Nexus 6. It gave the Nexus 6 a 13MP rear camera with optical image stabilisation, dual LED ring flash and 4K video recording capabilities. Google hasn’t jumped into the high-res selfie camera bandwagon as evident from the 2MP sensor on the front.

Nexus 6 1

As expected from a flagship handset, the Nexus 6 is laced with connectivity options such as Wi-Fi 802.11ac 2x2 (MIMO), Bluetooth 4.1, NFC and microUSB. You can find plenty of sensors such as GPS, accelerometer, gyroscope, magnetometer, ambient light sensor and barometer on the Nexus 6. The big 3220mAh battery powering the Nexus 6 has a quick charge feature that give you 6 hours of use from just 15 minutes of charging. Google claims that the battery can last for 250 hours on standby and give internet usage time of up to 10 hours along with 24 hours of talktime but we shall reserve our verdict until its public launch which is expected to be on November 3 (US launch).

The Nexus 6 will be sold in 32GB and 64GB internal memory variants (no mention of microSD card support) in Midnight Blue or Cloud White. The product goes on pre-order in the US from October 17 at prices starting from $649 (40,046 INR). This makes it cheaper than iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, so which one will you go for? Head over to the comment section now and post your comments.

Replies

• Pensu
    Pensu
    Don't know why, but it doesn't look that impressive.5.96 inch is a little too much, I guess I would be happier with 5.5. Lollipop and 13MP are good step. But I read somewhere it will take 24 hours for the battery to be fully charged! And 40K? Man, I need a new job! And btw, when is OnePlusOne coming?!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Pensu
    And btw, when is OnePlusOne coming?!
    They promised to announce their pre-order system in this month and I'm guessing we should hear about it in the coming week. I was expecting Diwali launch time for the OnePlus, but it doesn't look like a possibility now. Since Mi4 is coming to India by December, my best guess is that OnePlus will pitch their phone against it. However, among MI4 and OnePlus One - MI4 will have the edge.
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    Kaustubh Katdare
    They promised to announce their pre-order system in this month and I'm guessing we should hear about it in the coming week. I was expecting Diwali launch time for the OnePlus, but it doesn't look like a possibility now. Since Mi4 is coming to India by December, my best guess is that OnePlus will pitch their phone against it. However, among MI4 and OnePlus One - MI4 will have the edge.
    Looks like it. It has been a lot of waiting. I guess it would be better if they can push OnePlusTwo against MI4. That would be a better battle to witness! But OnePlusTwo would be coming in 2015. This is one confusing arena!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    OnePlus Two will arrive in Q2 or Q3 of 2015; it's a long wait. I'm quite sure that Mi4 will outsell Mi3 and OnePlus One.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    I will go or nexus6. I am fine the price range. Since I am using Nexus 5 at home and the performance is the best in the segment.
  • Rajni Jain
    Rajni Jain
    Pensu
    when is OnePlusOne coming?!
    Its been a while (Oops ..I must say Per me, the wait been a much longer now)

Mi3 / Mi4 had already eaten few perspective users of 1+ and now this amazing Nexus will eat-up remaining one.

#Nexus6 - #Awesome smartphone
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    I am disappointed!
    I thought Nexus 6 will be equipped with 64-bit Architecture ARM. (Probably the Snapdragon killer - Tegra K1), but duh! 805 ? I want AArch64 !!

Seems like Motorola has signed deal with Qualcomm. No wonder why all of their device is equipped with Qualcomm SoC.

I would rather wait few more months 'till I find device with 64-bit SoC + Stock Android L, rather than purchasing Nexus 6.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Abhishek Rawal
    I am disappointed!
    I thought Nexus 6 will be equipped with 64-bit Architecture ARM. (Probably the Snapdragon killer - Tegra K1), but duh! 805 ? I want AArch64 !!
    Faster chips are all okay. But how to put them to some effective use?
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Faster chips are all okay.
    What ? 😨

- Performance
    - Better Power saving (big.LITTLE implementation)
    - Supports AArch64 as well as AArch32 (Inshort it is compatible with 32-bit applications too)
    - Linaro has already developed AOSP build for 64-bit
    - Competition against Apple

Kaustubh Katdare
    But how to put them to some effective use?
    This is where kernel hacking comes into picture.

Can you elaborate what you're trying to say here ? ☕
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    And yeah! 192 CUDA cores!!
    This SoC obliterates every freaking GPU in mobile sector.

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Why are we comparing decade old technology with an upcoming technology? PS3 and XBOX were meant to run the last generation of games and they did well.
  • Satya Swaroop Dash
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    As it turns out the Nexus 6 is priced a lot more than expected. The phone is up for pre-order exclusively on Flipkart. The 32GB variant costs Rs. 43,999 and the 64GB variant costs Rs. 48,999

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

After making a mark for itself in the tablet world with the critically acclaimed Nexus 7 tablet, Google has announced a bigger offering in form of the Nexus 9. The...
Hi, Anish from Kerala, India. Nice to meet you all. Mechanical Engineer in an Automation firm.
We are working a project when a glass bottle of considerable strength (ie, not very fragile) needs to be tilted around +Z axis by 90 degrees. The bottle/s are in...
please tell me because i want to purchase it
The space enthusiasts may already be aware of the Van Allen radiation belt that surrounds our planet Earth. It's a huge, thick layer of highly charged particles. While the Earth...