Geared Turbofan engine

Pratt and Whitney's new Pure Power Geared Turbofan engines are said to be more fuel efficient and emit less carbon-dioxide than its predecessors and competitors. The engine achieves it efficiency from rotating the fan blades at a slower speed than the turbines with the help of reduction gears. The company has adopted its technology from turboprops but still its a huge leap in improvement of turbofan engines.
[​IMG]
The engine is hopefully expected to be implemented in 2013. Will this engine be a stepping stone for greener aviation?, only time can tell.

Further details:#-Link-Snipped-#.

Replies

• zaveri
    zaveri
    One of the comments in that link page goes like this :

"The 35 percent reduction in carbon dioxide emissions above is incorrect. Carbon dioxide emissions are linearly related to the amount of fuel burned. A 15 percent reduction in fuel burned results in a 15 percent reduction in carbon dioxide emissions."

Don't you think the author is right. ?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Today morning when I flipped open our local newspaper, I saw an ad from the Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment, India that said -> and I suddenly remembered some...
presently in 3rd yr....... and confused😐!
A NuVinci bike effectively has an infinite number of gears. You can adjust it smoothly, without worrying about clicking into gears, to provide the precise right amount of resistance. You...
Hi everyone! I want to learn AVR & PIC controllers from basics. So please suggest me how & from where to start???
I'm facing a problem accessing webpages. I'm unable to access a few websites. The error message requires me to do this: Add Google Chrome as a permitted program in your...