Frequency in India is 50 Hz?

Why is the AC frequency in India to all households is limited to 50 Hz. Why is it 60 Hz in the USA and other countries?

Replies

• johnpeter
    johnpeter
    in india the gengrating stations are constructed according
    to the distances but in the forgein countries the generating
    stations are built according to the climate and the distance.
    Thank you,

• Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    hey are you talking about bandwidth???
  • Stephen_c
    Stephen_c
    johnpeter is right and goyal he is talking about elctricity. It is the frequency at which the AC mains in our country alternate.
  • just2rock
    just2rock
    anudoon098
    why frequency in india is limited to only 50 hz
    A very good question.....
    AC mains as you had seen is with 50Hz frequency .This is basically for India as our hydel/thermal plants regenerate power at that scale from bio-source.
    Cant it be generated above or below 50 Hz?
    Yes they can but corresponds to the sinusoidal variance of the AC source the tolerance is huge when compared to 50Hz scale.
    U.S however operate on 60-80 Hz with 240 VAC where they are again maintained in the +-5 % tolerance scale.

I believe you got your query clarified & we look forward to many more brain hunting from you!
  • debu
    debu
    just2rock
    U.S however operate on 60-80 Hz with 240 VAC where they are again maintained in the +-5 % tolerance scale.
    I don't think that is correct. North America uses 110-120v at 60Hz. For more information read Ac Power Plugs And Sockets

Regards,

Debu
  • webworld
    webworld
    I'm not sure if its all correct!!!!
    A lot of points are factored when a utility decides to choose 50 or 60 hz, sometimes it may even been a political rather than a technical one (we have seen various types of wars on measurements types of units used or have been an interested but an innocent invitee in format wars in electronics like 8 track v/s cassette, v2000 (an excellent system) V/s the betamax (also with some notable features)and the vhs. Now we are also extended into the video disc formats.
    However if we were to look closely many of us will agree that 60hz is a good choice. It is more efficient, there will be less hum. All inductors and motors could be smaller, and the benefits will encompass a wide array of electical and electronic goods to which the changes will almost be transparent. (Even the pictures on our tv's will be more pleasing to look at minus the pronounced flicker). But it should be noted that most critical and large capital intensive plants and machineries, including certain medical equipment, will not take too kindly to such a change, which, besides straying from the critical specs, or worse still may give up altogether, unless expensive time-consuming replacement or an equally complicated and efficient cycle converter is installed before the system is connected to the mains. Offhand a lot of people may be for it, but are the others and the equipment willing to agree for it?

#-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

just like every other indian the very mention of CRICKET brightens me up but i also love tennis.but when in comparison with cricket it takes a back seat.i just don't...
CEans, I'm thinking we should build a list of coolest [hottest] startups we know of. It can benefit all of us in immense ways - 1. New service launches. 2....
I am doing a paper on careers in electrical engineering, for this paper I need to interview someone that is currently working in this field. The guy I was origanly...
Hi, i'm currently studying for Gate. I've been having this doubt for a long time, since the Mtech,ME,MS are considered equivalent courses then why the difference in name? Is there...
if a bicycle moves forward on forward pedalling....then why it does not go backward on backward pedaling....is the backward movement blocked or what?...if yes then what is the mechanism?