Ford EcoSport | EcoBoost Engines | Price In Inda: Rs. 7-9 Lakh

Ford's EcoSport looks to be one promising automobile that might just fill the gap between the sedans and SUVs at a price point that would make it affordable to the price-conscious Indian buyers. Ford's promising 'coming soon' on their official India website; and I found out that the EcoBoost engines have been designed to consumer lesser fuel and deliver more power.

The new, award-winning EcoBoost engines take the turbocharge and direct injection technologies found in advanced diesel engines and pushes them even further. The result is a more compact petrol engine that delivers power to rival a traditional 1.6L petrol engine, but uses up to 20% less fuel. And that’s good for you and the environment.
Ford-Ecosport
What do you have to say about EcoBoost engine and the price point of this car? Will it take Indian roads by storm?

Replies

• zaveri
    zaveri
    The_Big_K
    What do you have to say about EcoBoost engine and the price point of this car? Will it take Indian roads by storm?
    surely it will ! the ecoboost engine seems too promising as it is giving fuel efficiency ! and besides ford's last model to run on the indian roads, figo was a great success
  • vikaskumar11233
    vikaskumar11233
    I have also read about Ford Ecosport .It looks fabulous ,a real hunk.I like it's design and it must have a powerful engine. I also want to share some information about a new MPV which is going to launch in India.
    Chevrolet Enjoy Price, Images, Mileage, Reviews, Specs is a full-fledged seven seater Multi Purpose Vehicle that will be available in India soon. This new MPV which is popular in Chinese market as ‘Hong Guang’, will hit the markets in mid 2012. The Chevrolet Enjoy MPV which was on pedestal in the Auto Expo, 2012 along with hatch Chevrolet Sail, is designed for those who look for space, comfort and style in their vehicle which can add pleasure to life. The stylish MPV is actually co-developed with the Chinese partner SAIC (Shanghai Automotive Industry Corporation). SAIC has 50% stake in GM India and the Chevrolet Enjoy will be coming from the stables of Wuling Automobiles which is a Joint venture between GM and SAIC in China.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    It's got a 1.0 liter engine; but I've heard that the ecoboost technology makes it perform like a 1.3 - 1.4 liter engine. Wondering how?
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    The_Big_K
    It's got a 1.0 liter engine; but I've heard that the ecoboost technology makes it perform like a 1.3 - 1.4 liter engine. Wondering how?
    That is the crux of the story. If you are aware about Ford's Chinese fleet, most of the cars are going to be fitted with 1.0 liter engine.

There are also 1.6 liter ecoboost engine. To me it appears that, the efficiency increase is also due to numerous other facts like reduction in overall weight of the car.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Issue
    That is the crux of the story. If you are aware about Ford's Chinese fleet, most of the cars are going to be fitted with 1.0 liter engine.

There are also 1.6 liter ecoboost engine. To me it appears that, the efficiency increase is also due to numerous other facts like reduction in overall weight of the car.
    #-Link-Snipped-# : Could you talk a bit about the ecoboost engines and how they differ from the traditional diesel/petrol engines?
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Ecoboost-What is it and how is it powered?

EcoBoost is just a fancy name to describe the engine. The engine is built to be the most economical by applying energy saving techniques.

Ford wants to establish its reach in fuel-efficient market. The engine hence uses all the technologies that are taught theoretically in classrooms.

The main difference between a traditional and Ecoboost engine is the type of fuel injection in the cylinders.
    As many are aware, traditionally fuel is mixed with atmospheric air in the inlet port. The mixed material is called as "Charge". This charge is the real material that is burnt.

However, Ford says by directly injecting the fuel in the combustion chamber, we can achieve a precise delivery and better burning of fuel. This is done by No doubt the Volumetric efficiency of engine is increased.

Now you asked how can it perform like 1.3 or 1.4 liter engine.

In actual practice, the turbine of the engine is coupled with compressor. The compressor is used to pressurize the incoming air. Hence "more charge per liter" is obtained. In technical terms specific volume of the engine is increased.

Also the energy of exhaust gases is also recovered to run the turbine wheel. The engine is simple the applied version of advanced version of turbo-charging technology.

The engine is built to reduce 10-15% of carbon emissions.
    The final effect is increasing the efficiency of engine by around 18-20%.

One a side note, most of the patents filed for the engine deal with "controlling" of the fuel injection rather than the burning and power generation. In short it is a precisely controlled machine.
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    I wanted to write about Ford and Toyota vehicles on VoiCE in deep. Perhaps this is the only wish that remained unfulfilled.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    #-Link-Snipped-#

now when the fuel is injected directly into the cylinder, then when does it mix with the air ?
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    The compressor inject air directly into the cylinders through intake manifold.

Here is a short video I found on net-

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Chevrolet's SUV Captiva is going to be rendered a facelift to attract more customers and now new MPV Chevrolet Enjoy is also paving its way in the Indian car market....
Hi fRienDs, I want to find the type of RAM,which my system have without opening the system. As we can know the how much hard disk a particular system have...
Hello everyone, Quick question, based on job prospects which is better, a BSc in an engineering deisicipline or a BEng? What is the difference? #my 1st post(2nd after my introduction)😀
hi am josva..... hi crazy engineers...am very glad to join ths site&i expect more thinks more from ths site.....
Name:SHUBHAM RAJARAM PATEL *Engineering Trade:B.Tech in Electrical Engg. Location:LONERE, Raigad *Occupation: Student *Hobbies & Interests: to do new things like Projects,interest in RENEWABLE ENERGY *Aim in life: To contribute BEST...