floating using terminal velocity

is it possible for a light material to float in mid air if it both rotates and has a constant velocity (terminal velocity) of the material design

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    The terminal velocity is related to size, shape and density. A sheet of lead can float in a light up current if beaten thin and shaped properly. It does not have to rotate.

• KenJackson
    KenJackson
    I'm having difficulty connecting the phrases "float in mid air" and "has a constant velocity."
    Aren't they mutually exclusive?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    KenJackson
    I'm having difficulty connecting the phrases "float in mid air" and "has a constant velocity."
    Aren't they mutually exclusive?
    It is the differential velocity that matters. In a thermal (or in any medium the object is falling), if the upward velocity matches the terminal velocity the object appears to float in a fixed position.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    bioramani
    It is the differential velocity that matters. In a thermal (or in any medium the object is falling), if the upward velocity matches the terminal velocity the object appears to float in a fixed position.
    that is it then can we really make a very light object of larger diameter to float
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    jeffrey samuel
    that is it then can we really make a very light object of larger diameter to float
    Not quite. Every heavier than medium object has a settling velocity. If it is lighter than it will have rising velocity. There has to be a counter velocity like a thermal up current or a thrust mechanism to overcome this.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    so precise calculations and tolerance to external impacts have to be seen before we can apply it

thanks sir

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

As most of you have noticed by now, we've enabled the sidebar on all pages across the forum pages. Now you can see who's online, latest discussions and more besides...
Hello guys,i am working on a final year project and im stuck i intend to monitor the perfomance of cold rooms which are 200km away.I need to be able to...
I want to do something very creative on image processing. I don't know how to start?
Hi all, I am currently working on a port construction project. Can anyone give me any idea of what to tackle in such project? I am not worried about the...
This is a Logic Puzzle about men who commute daily to their jobs.​Amos, Clem, Dave, Eric, and Glen all live and work in small towns along the notorious Interstate Highway...