Flipkart Vs. Amazon : It's Books Vs. eBooks!

The Indian online commerce market is dominated by Flipkart. Founded by the ex-Amazon employees; Flipkart rose to the never imagined heights of success before anyone could realize. I can't foget the experience of ordering book from Flipkart - I got a huge discount and next-day home delivery! I was delighted. I no longer had to go to CrossWords to to buy new books. I could choose from a million books and get them delivered at my doorstep while saving a few bucks. Flipkart continued that model for a long time until people began noticing the #-Link-Snipped-#.

Amazon, the International giant had ignored Indian markets for long. But the success of Flipkart must have changed their views on the online buying abilities of Indian consumers. The company first launched #-Link-Snipped-#. Junglee wasn't a direct thread to Flipkart, but it surely helped Amazon taste the waters. Indian consumers are rapidly going digital, and are price cautious. Making an eBook store available for Indian was the most logical step for Amazon to do. And today, the company has announced the availability of the kindle eBook store in India. I think Flipkart now has a reason to worry.

[​IMG]

No matter how fast Flipkart can deliver a physical item to your doorstep, it can never beat the speed of electronic delivery of ebooks. You buy an item and it's on your Kindle the next minute! Another big advantage? Well, the eBooks are going to be cheaper than physical books. I checked the prices of Chetan Bhagat's famous book 'Revolution 2020' on both Amazon India eBook store and Flipkart. Flipkar sells it for Rs. 98 and asks for Rs. 30 extra for delivery charges. Amazon's ebook store offers it for Rs. 86.38; including free & instant delivery to your Kindle.

I won't be surprised to see more customers wanting to download eBooks from Amazon than buy them from Flipkart in the near future. In order to compete, Flipkart will have to step up their game by venturing into eBook store and offering more discounts or more convenient features. It would be interesting to watch how Flipkart does that, because the price is going to be the crowd puller in the Indian markets for sure. Flipkart already operates digital music download store, '#-Link-Snipped-#' and launching an eBook store could likely be the next step they can take. We've been reading that Flipkart is venturing into the online Apparel markets in near future; I think they'll have to re-think their strategy.

As of now, the Flipkart Vs. Amazon war is directly going to be between the Books vs eBooks. Both these giants offer a range of products; but I'm quite sure books will decide the future of online markets in India. I hope the consumer will emerge as a clear winner in this war.

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Cellular signals tend to congest following a major disaster, owing to the high call volume that necessarily flows in. A team of German scientists are examining a method where they...
Worried about the test pattern of the new IIT JEE to be conducted in 2013? Worry no more! The HRD ministry has clarified that the IIT JEE Advance test pattern...
When people go to a theater to watch a stereoscopic 3D movie, the thing about which they complain a lot is polarized 3D glasses. They may not fit your face...
Engineering students and staff at the University of Birmingham are joyous. The first ever prototype of the hybrid vehicle designed by the students managed to haul 4000 kilograms, 6 times...
D-Wave, a company that provides quantum computing to solve most of the complicated problems has now deviced a quantum computer capable of calculating how a protein folds. The logic behind...