Finned tube heat exchanger

Hi,

I am doing the project of water preheater for a thermal oil heater under my factory.

Could anyone kindly share with me how to calculate the heat transfer area for the finned tube based on the fin height,fin thickness and etc.?

TQVM for your help..๐Ÿ˜

Replies

• Rohan_sK
    Rohan_sK
    The heat transfer area for the fin can be calculated from any standard Heat And Mass Transfer book.

Anyways,

In general the fins have a greater cross section at the base where the tempreature is maximum to allow quick heat transfer and the area gradually reduces along the fin length.

Also increasing the fin length unnecessarily wont help because eventually the heat conduction gradually reduces along the fin length. So try to keep your fin thicker at the base and reduce its area of c/s along the length and keep the fin length optimum to avoid wastage of material.

Again the spacing between the two cnsecutive fins must be optimised so as to allow maximum heat transfer rate from the fin to the ambient fluid where heat is rejected.

This will depend on the maximum tempreature at base, the cooling desired and the coefficient of convective heat transfer of the medium where heat is rejected.

The thermal gradient for different type of fins is given in all standard books and you can refer any one of these to cater your needs. The governing equation can be easily found from there which fits your operating conditions.

All the Best.
  • jhbalaji
    jhbalaji
    Yeah well said Rohan

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi all, Im looking for a low cost accelorometer or a peizo shock sensor specifically in the form of an IC that can be easily integrated into any a printed...
While formatting my system, I copied all my data from computer to pendrive(SANDISK) , my pen drive is not detecting. I tried it for more than 8 computers. But its...
I'm not sure whether you guys know about this. This is a neat gmail trick with which we can create multiple email accounts using the same email id. Use it...
i am wondering why my manual control robot, not moving straight. is it because of the design or wrong in placement of wheel? in my design, i put wheel at...
i have another question about pneumatic. in my robot design for robowars, i decided to use pneumatic system. i have the design, but don't know how to attach. actually, i...