Final Year Project Idea : Rubik's Cube Solver!

Okay, those who don't know what Rubik's cube is, I feel sorry for you πŸ˜€ . Being an engineering student, you must know about the fantastic cube. Look here -> Rubik%27S Cube

[​IMG]

Alright, back to the topic.

How about a game/software that lets me define my current state of the cube and then, gives me different possible ways of solving the cube with a nice animation?

Think about it. Not very easy to do though 😁 . Engineers are supposed to solve tough problems, right? All the best!

Replies

• silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    There are many programs available to do this. There are plenty in Matlab file exchange. You can take a look if you want. But that gives the solution in terms of steps to be taken and the algorithm. As for animation, well i dunno a thing about it. There's a project "Rubik's cube solver robot" going on in our college. May be I can pull something from those guys.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Ha! Great! I'm not working on the project. Just an idea I shared with those looking for ideas.

It would be nice if the guys working on the project come and share some information here.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    I suggest you guys find the Rubik's solver done by using Lego Mindstorms, on youtube. Quite impressive πŸ˜€ It physically solves the cube, by using actuators to rotate the segments, etc.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Ash, post the video please 😁
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Okayz, have fun watching! (if your company allows πŸ˜‰ )

[youtube]sRTcHnjNd5E[/youtube]
  • gohm
    gohm
    Sheesh, all that work when they could have just peeled the stickers off & put then back on solved?!
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Well, if real life problems can be solved like that gohm, engineers would not exist πŸ˜‰
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Man! Mankind's future is in trouble for sure. That bot is way more intelligent than me πŸ˜” ! But hey, I don't make so much noise when solving the cube! I think we've got an edge over them.
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    I saw a video in which a professional cube solver was pitted against a robot, and guess
    what? the robot was faster in solving the cube than the pro. I'm searching for the video. Will post it here soon.
  • gohm
    gohm
    true Ash, although one could counter-point that in this instance engineering the machine to solve the cube also defeats the purpose of the cube. Many would say the cube highlights mankind's ability to problem solve with the mind in a pure form. =) Not trying to take us back to the CAD/drafting debate we had previously! lol

ash
    Well, if real life problems can be solved like that gohm, engineers would not exist πŸ˜‰

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

CE Documentation Project - Phase I (Defining the scope of project) ​ Those who are new, let me quicky introduce CE Documentation Project to you - CE Documentation project is...
Hi frds I'm doing a proj based on topic SOA(Service Oriented Achitecture). It ll be helpful for me to proceed wit some information. Pls send me if u hav information...
Folks, Let's say in next few years we'll have our own campus with our buildings, departments, gardens et al. What I want you to imagine is - how'd you like...
I have downloaded some Electrical E books, I like to share it with my Great friends. download it if u needed..... Say thanks if u really like it
πŸ˜•Can anyone suggest which laptop is suitable for me. I am a btech(cs) IInd year student... need it just for programing,gaming,surfing ..... and stuffs. please help..I am in a fix.