Final Year Project Idea : Rubik's Cube Solver!

Okay, those who don't know what Rubik's cube is, I feel sorry for you ๐Ÿ˜€ . Being an engineering student, you must know about the fantastic cube. Look here -> <a href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubik%27s_cube" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">Rubik%27S Cube</a>

[โ€‹IMG]

Alright, back to the topic.

How about a game/software that lets me define my current state of the cube and then, gives me different possible ways of solving the cube with a nice animation?

Think about it. Not very easy to do though ๐Ÿ˜ . Engineers are supposed to solve tough problems, right? All the best!

Replies

Welcome, guest

Join CrazyEngineers to reply, ask questions, and participate in conversations.

CrazyEngineers powered by Jatra Community Platform

  • silverscorpion

    @silverscorpion-iJKtdQ • Jan 27, 2009

    There are many programs available to do this. There are plenty in Matlab file exchange. You can take a look if you want. But that gives the solution in terms of steps to be taken and the algorithm. As for animation, well i dunno a thing about it. There's a project "Rubik's cube solver robot" going on in our college. May be I can pull something from those guys.

  • Kaustubh Katdare

    @thebigk • Jan 27, 2009

    Ha! Great! I'm not working on the project. Just an idea I shared with those looking for ideas.

    It would be nice if the guys working on the project come and share some information here.

  • Ashraf HZ

    @Ash • Jan 27, 2009

    I suggest you guys find the Rubik's solver done by using Lego Mindstorms, on youtube. Quite impressive ๐Ÿ˜€ It physically solves the cube, by using actuators to rotate the segments, etc.

  • Kaustubh Katdare

    @thebigk • Jan 27, 2009

    Ash, post the video please ๐Ÿ˜

  • Ashraf HZ

    @Ash • Jan 27, 2009

    Okayz, have fun watching! (if your company allows ๐Ÿ˜‰ )

    [youtube]sRTcHnjNd5E[/youtube]

  • gohm

    @gohm-F3UUpP • Jan 28, 2009

    Sheesh, all that work when they could have just peeled the stickers off & put then back on solved?!

  • Ashraf HZ

    @Ash • Jan 28, 2009

    Well, if real life problems can be solved like that gohm, engineers would not exist ๐Ÿ˜‰

  • Kaustubh Katdare

    @thebigk • Jan 28, 2009

    Man! Mankind's future is in trouble for sure. That bot is way more intelligent than me ๐Ÿ˜” ! But hey, I don't make so much noise when solving the cube! I think we've got an edge over them.

  • silverscorpion

    @silverscorpion-iJKtdQ • Jan 28, 2009

    I saw a video in which a professional cube solver was pitted against a robot, and guess
    what? the robot was faster in solving the cube than the pro. I'm searching for the video. Will post it here soon.

  • gohm

    @gohm-F3UUpP • Jan 29, 2009

    true Ash, although one could counter-point that in this instance engineering the machine to solve the cube also defeats the purpose of the cube. Many would say the cube highlights mankind's ability to problem solve with the mind in a pure form. =) Not trying to take us back to the CAD/drafting debate we had previously! lol

    ashWell, if real life problems can be solved like that gohm, engineers would not exist ๐Ÿ˜‰