Facebook Privacy

On 22 April this year, Facebook changed its privacy policy. If you have been through privacy policies of different websites, you would know about what the website intends to do with the data that you submit into that website. Most of the claim to use the data only for enhancing your customer experience, promise to not share that data with anyone else … unless it is to (yes, you are right) enhance the customer experience.#-Link-Snipped-#
Facebook Privacy That is for normal websites, which do not have PR problems with respect to their privacy policies. Facebook … now Facebook is different. They have a mammoth 5,830 words privacy policy. Compare that to the Constitution of United States which is a sweet and short 4,543 words (believe me I checked, India’s constitution is a droning 117, 369 words and is the longest constitution for any sovereign country!) Add to this the fiasco of Facebook going more open (in terms of privacy and not the source), and there were many privacy conscious users who did not want their content to be shown to prying eyes. Two users even went ahead to create a www.quitfacebookday.com, to convince everyone to delete their Facebook profiles. Over 14,000 users have deleted their profiles on 31st of May. Personally speaking, I do not see any business oriented users to stop using Facebook. Still arguably, the largest social media platform, Facebook seems to suffer from an extreme condition of Feature Creep. Speaking of which, Microsoft’s Steve Ballmer has made a Ballmer on Security, Privacy and Facebook - YouTube backing up Mark Zuckerberg’s motives. Over the past month though, Facebook has gone at some lengths in explaining all of its security features so that even newbies can customize their privacy settings. Here is a list of 10 Privacy Settings that every Facebook user should know, to keep your profile more secure. What this goes to show is not Facebook’s stand on privacy, but rather how the entire world reacts to Facebook’s actions. It won’t be surprising if Facebook gets one more round of multi-million dollar funding, after all the hype this has created.

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The last month has seen the entire world go up in arms with Facebook’s privacy glitch. This was not the first time that Facebook had drawn flak; the current glitch...
Banking, Financial Services and Insurance (BFSI) services, Gaming, Mail and Messaging, Telecom, or CRM services etc. are few domains that have become more varied and more complex. Information systems roll...
For the first time after 1989, Apple Inc. stole the crown of 'The Biggest Technology Company' from Microsoft. Apple Inc.'s share rose by 2.8 percent on NASDAQ on Wednesday giving...
Starting with this article, I'll publish a series of article on the topic "Entrepreneurship: Starting With The Right Mindset". These articles will cover my talk at MIT Pune on the...
We all remember the black-clad Tom Cruise from the Steven Spielberg's 2002 sci-fi movie Minority Report where he stands in front of a transparent screen manipulating a host of video...