Explanation of high starting current in stator for squirell-cage induction motor.

Hi All

Can someone please explain, to me, why there is a high current draw from the power-supply when DOL starting a 3-phase induction motor please?

• I understand that initially the rotor is stationary, it behaves as a short-circuited secondary wiring in a transformer meaning the initially induced emf/current of the rotor is high.
  • I understand that the 'relative' speed of the stator field to that of the rotor is very high because the rotor is not spinning, thus a large emf is induced in the rotor.
What I don't understand is why this translates to a higher current draw from the power supply to the stator windings.

I've spent a few hours googling - everything explains why the rotor experiences the high emf/current but not the stator. I assume it must be a very basic principle but it escapes me.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    You found out that the rotor is stationary and due to that, the stator is short circuited, right? So, what happens in a short circuit? the voltage across the stator tends to be zero. Still we are applying power to the terminals. So, power is equal to P=VIcos(phi). Here, the power applied remains the same. So, when the voltage becomes almost zero, the current shoots up. Any more doubts or if you think I am wrong, let me know in here.
  • omniscient
    omniscient
    I figured it was down to the stator windings essentially being a short-circuit; thanks for the confirmation!
  • manoj_2all
    manoj_2all
    As there is no Back EMF existing on the motor side due to this the motor consumes high starting current as it connected directly to the power supply.
    To reduce the starting current we use different methods, as the motor is in running it induces an Back EMF by opposing the source EMF which reduces the current value.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Those who come here looking for free lunch; take a look at the human tetris project developed by two undergrad students at Cornell University: Cornell University Undergrads Develop Human Tetris...
I want to bookmark certain threads for future references. Kindly help me out as i'm new to this forum.
can anyone exactly explain the concept of negative electric potential as i really dont get it practically,and will negative potential change direction of electron flow,thnx
hi can u help me in searching for project topics😎
Obviously the claims must be true. But cooperates are not yet ready to upgrade thier browsers. Main reason might be the compatibility of the applications with IE6. It needs quite...