exhaust gas!

what will happen if exhaust gas from a main engine of....say a bike is passed onto another cylinder and fresh air is introduced into that cylinder...(the main engine and the cylinder are coupled)......my doubt is cant there be a possibility for an expansion in this second cylinder due to mixing of air and exhaust...hence a work can be produced from the second cylinder....thereby increasing main engine efficiency and reducing pollution....{this idea of mine could sound weird..but that's why i am sharing it with you...so do u find this idea to be possible...}

Replies

• Aviral Sonkar
    Aviral Sonkar
    yes it is possible but, that will increase the size of the engine.
    and to mix cold air with the exhaust air we will need help of a pump.
    again we have to give some work which may reduce the overall efficiency of the engine depending upon the temperature of exhaust leaving the cylinder.
  • pranavc
    pranavc
    yes it is possible.and i agree with the above post but still the efficiency will increase with a comparitive loss of energy . though this idea sounds quite new and fresh. but also as described above the temperature and the pollutants of exhaust gas must be considered which creates a possibility of harnessing the efficiency. anyways its a good idea.
  • Aviral Sonkar
    Aviral Sonkar
    can a practical engine be made on this idea...???
    Is there any possibility to make this engine...???
  • pranavc
    pranavc
    quite possible and time consuming.
  • arjunoids
    arjunoids
    Avery minor improvement i the overall efficiency of the engine is possible. But, there will be increase in the size of the engine. To supply the cold air, again, you need some power. This will consume more power than what the 2nd cylinder produces(because, you are supplying the compressed air). Bottom line, the chances that will decrease the efficiency of the engine appears to be more here. Hence not adviceable.
  • ankit bapat
    ankit bapat
    its a really nice idea
    even i was thinking over it
    but it is not feasible
    exhaust gas have relatively low temperature when compared to heat supply at power stroke
    it will not be able to do a considerable work
    research must go on regarding this topic
  • g_rakesh2
    g_rakesh2
    its a nice Idea..
    but its not feasible as it will need extra i/p and instead will decrease efficiency....

CEians going well very good, nice thinking bldu111 ๐Ÿ˜
  • nirmal kumar
    nirmal kumar
    once the combustion of the fuel takes place most of the combustion products undergo combustion. there might be a slight possibility of some of the fuel left unburnt i dont think by combusting such a small quantity of fuel u wont gain apprecable work and it will so many parameters involved with thia like it will enlarge the engine size,weight etc.
  • baldu111
    baldu111
    thank you....for sharing your thoughts...
    but can anyone suggest how to do research on this issue...
    because this is my final year project idea..
  • baldu111
    baldu111
    you need not supply cold air...what about atmospheric air being sucked into the engine
  • ranjith d k
    ranjith d k
    it is possible... but the back pressure in the first cylinders increases.. it may reduse the efficiency...... u require pump setup ... u can run this pump using dynamometer ,it can be run using wind power when vehicle is crusing....ok
  • anu_mech
    anu_mech
    i agree with arjunoids.....the idea is will increase the input.....and decrease overall efficiency.......yeah if filtering unburnt fuel back to carburetor/injector is possible then it'll be a great idea...
  • 070790vivek
    070790vivek
    since there is very less amount of fuel remain
    i suggest u to introduce this exhast and alean mixture of fuel and air
    bcoz it provides enough burning fuel to second cylinder

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hello.. i just want to know the complete procedure to enroll for SCJP.. do we get some study material..on payin the enrollment amount or it is just an examination fees..??
Hi all... I'm a newbie and want to ask something bout servo motor before i do the purchasing. Can the servo motor rotate to other degree beside 0, 90, and...
what are the latest sensor technologys used in traffic light system ? i knew about pressure sensors, is there ny new invent regarding traffic light signalling ?
hello friends, i am new to this post i am doing my mtech in vlsi from bangalore(vtu). as i want to do my final year project. but not able to...
hello.. well..m just unable to understand the actual concept of fuzzy logic..n its meaning.. to me it acts similar to boolean logic.. wht i had know abt it is..simply that...