Entrepreneurship in economic recession

Read this post: Wisdom in hindsight: Entrepreneurship thrives in a recession

I especially liked this -

Logically any sane, rational person would prefer the security of a salaried job, during a downturn, to the uncertain world of entrepreneurship. After all during a downturn – competition has excess capacity so there is fierce price competition, customers buy less so there is soft demand, funding is very hard to come by and then if you do get it you get poor valuations, cash collection from clients becomes harder and so on. So it should be a bad idea to become an entrepreneur during a recession. The smart thing to do would be to hang on to your cushy, safe job.
The real world however is counter intuitive.
What are your views?

Replies

• CIVILPRINCESS
    CIVILPRINCESS
    a very nice post.
    some might consider sticking on to the safe, cushy job is the best to do during recession.
    but as the article speaks recession might cause a chance for the company to grow.
    i think it is not a bad idea to become an entrepreneur during recession. in fact if the person has the right attitude and passion for what he is doing he can turn an entrepreneur even during the worst recessions.
    and of course as the article says "recessions do separate winners from losers".
  • cooltwins
    cooltwins
    a wonderful article indeed.
    a must read for the wannabe entrepreneurs.
    the small entrepreneurs must make full use of the situation.
    so the point is to look for the right time and the right opportunity and rise to scaling peaks.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

If you've some free time, I encourage you to take the CAT online test here: Comprehensive Demo CAT is supposed to be the toughest entrance exam in the world. Not...
CEans, You would thank me for posting this link: Academic Earth | Online Courses | Academic Video Lectures The site hosts lots of video lectures by top folks! Check it...
apart from the gate syll. what more i need to study for psu's ? 😕 and it will be great if anyone can suggest me some good books also which...
…extension of existing relationship to support the growth of John Crane’s e-learning strategy… Tuesday 6th October 2009 - CERTPOINT Systems™, a leading international provider of integrated enterprise learning solutions, today...
Technology Robotix Society invites all robot enthusiasts to ROBOTiX2010 ROBOTiX is Asia's largest college level robotics fest held in IIT Kharagpur during it's mega technomanagement fest Ksitij from 28th-31st Jan...