Engineering graphics parabola

A rectangle having 125x75 mm side inscribed with two parabolas in it with axis right angle to each other.How to Draw It.??? help

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    You have only three defining points, two corners and mid point of the opposite side. There can be an infinite number of parabolas passing through these points.
  • omprakash patil
    omprakash patil
    Considering two cornerns and mid pt. Of opposite side there is only one possibility only single symmetric axis parabola will pass through it.
    As corner ends will be lie on rectangle side END point and opposite side mid point. Will be the vertex.
    Since we are not considering symmetric parabolas with infinite no. Of corner ends lie on rectangle side.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    nooneperfect
    Considering two cornerns and mid pt. Of opposite side there is only one possibility only single symmetric axis parabola will pass through it.
    The only conic section uniquely defined by three points is a circle. Not true of other conic sections.
  • omprakash patil
    omprakash patil
    No circle.will be not possible since it is rectangle it will not fit in corner and mid pt.
  • omprakash patil
    omprakash patil
    This will be the solution i guess
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    There will be one circle that passes through the two corners of one side and the mid point of the opposite side. It will not be an inscribed complete circle but an arc. The second picture does denote one of possible infinite solutions.
  • omprakash patil
    omprakash patil
    Yup.
    But i will not say it has infinite solutions since problem statment is that it inscribe two parabolas which are in rectangle .
    So as two corners and opposite side mid pt. Is only case.
    Thx
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    nooneperfect
    So as two corners and opposite side mid pt. Is only case.
    Please go through conic sections in detail. There can be an infinite number of parabolas going through the same three points.
  • omprakash patil
    omprakash patil
    Considering only Two corner and mid pt. 8n rectangle
  • omprakash patil
    omprakash patil
    This can be true only as per ur point.
    But if vertex as mid point consider then its only one parabola...
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    nooneperfect
    A rectangle having 125x75 mm side inscribed with two parabolas in it with axis right angle to each other.
    I agree if the additional constraint on the vertex is put. Otherwise one can have an infinity of two parabolas with perpendicular axes passing through the specified points.
    If the vertex is the midpoint of the opposite side, then the solution is trivial. Make the vertex the origin and the axis as y axis. Then the parabola is y = ax^2. Determine a from one of the two end points and plot.
  • omprakash patil
    omprakash patil
    Right Sir... with above constraint this will be solutionsolution what interpretations going in my Brain.thanks a lot ... i learned so much
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    nooneperfect
    i learned so much
    Both of us learnt a lot.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I am new here so just want to say hello
Hey, I am 3rd year student of CE and now i have to do the project in My 7th SEM. I am really good at Web Designing. Languages I am...
The biochemists from Trinity College Dublin along with scientists at the Swiss Light Source and the University of Konstanz have come up with a new technique called 'in meso in...
IES or Engineering services exam is taken by thousands of aspirants each year. We need to build a repository of the best book books for different subjects of the IES...
Mam i have just passed class 12th and will take admission in one of the nit's or bits but i want to fill the branch in counselling accordingly.. . I...