Efficient Energy Reservoir Project - Help Needed!

I want make a efficient energy reservoir mini project which is not very costly.
The idea is... an energy reservoir which stores energy in any whether. from sunlight instead of using solar technique, by using a powerful magnifying glass, which converts the sunlight to heat energy & that energy will converted to electrical energy & stored in the reservoir. when it will be raining, by using water tank and turbine mechanical energy will be converted to electrical energy which will get stored in the reservoir. wind energy will also be stored. this energy is to be used in street lights at night time. for this purpose a light sensitive switch is to be used which will disconnect the circuit with the lights at day time and completes the circuit at night time...
i want to know about the connections and mainly the circuit.
please help....

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Looks like an interesting project. However, it would be nice if you could share your efforts in designing the circuit so that others can help you modify it. What do you think?
  • sudipto.ghosh123
    sudipto.ghosh123
    I want make a efficient energy reservoir mini project which is not very costly.
    The idea is... an energy reservoir which stores energy in any whether. from sunlight instead of using solar technique, by using a powerful magnifying glass, which converts the sunlight to heat energy & that energy will converted to electrical energy & stored in the reservoir. when it will be raining, by using water tank and turbine mechanical energy will be converted to electrical energy which will get stored in the reservoir. wind energy will also be stored. this energy is to be used in street lights at night time. for this purpose a light sensitive switch is to be used which will disconnect the circuit with the lights at day time and completes the circuit at night time...
    i want to know about the connections and mainly the circuit.
    please help....​
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Mr.Ghosh, The circuit for switching on street lights when the sun sets is a trivial thing and has nothing to do with the source of power. Do you need help with the switch or the main project of developing a reservoir of energy, whatever that may be?
    A magnifying glass does not increase the amount of solar energy. It only increases the temperature. There are simpler and cheaper ways to concentrate solar energy. How will this concentrated energy be converted into electricity? After conversion, what sort of water reservoir will store it?
    You mention that the stored mechanical energy will be converted on rainy days to electricity, which curiously will go back to the reservoir. While all this is going on wind energy also seems to have got into the act.
    Is it possible for you give a clearer indication of the concept. It will help people to respond meaningfully.

The only thing that seems consistent with all that you said above seems to be this scheme:

Assumption: 1) Unlimited water supply available at a low level.
    2) A large reservoir available at a high level.

Given these, you can use solar or wind power to pump up water from low level to the high level reservoir. The water turbines can then be run to produce power after sun set. Considering the complexity of the main project, the simple option for the light controlled switch is to buy it from the market. It is freely available.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    For some reason my response did not get uploaded the first time. There was an error message saying that the server did not respond and that I should try again. When I tried again, I found that the message got posted twice.
  • sudipto.ghosh123
    sudipto.ghosh123
    sir....i thank u whole heartedly for ur support ... ur suggestions have cleared some of my big confusions...
  • akpower
    akpower
    The idea of energy storage,presently feasible as Mr.Bioramani suggested is available in pumped storage form.There are many peaking hydro power plants that supply during peak demand by generating power in conventional hydro turbine-generator.When there is no demand the same turbine works as centrifugal pump
    to lift the water to higher elevation reservoir. Considering efficiency loss,these are useful as peak-load stations only.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

As per the AIEEE 2012 Official website, Students can take the "Mock tests" online for practice (those who are applying for online examination). These tests will be available on the...
Students can change the language of answer as many times possible during the online exam in 2012. 😁 If a particular question in English is not understood properly by a...
Forget about skyscrapers, protected harbors or capital markets. The lowly toilet is key to what makes modern cities possible. A Brief History of the Toilet [Slide Show]
I recently read this quote (unaware of its origin), "Engineers should be on tap, not on top." Basically, it means that the services of engineers should be readily available (like...
Every year, end of life vehicles generate between 8 and 9 million tons of waste in the community which should be managed correctly. According to definitions laid out in the...