Efficiency of transformer

What would be the effect on efficiency of the transformer in case all conditions remain same and power factor varies as 0.8 leading and 0.8 lagging? Will it remain same or differ....

Replies

• sau
    sau
    hii Rahul. I think that there will not be any significant change in the efficiency of transformer.As the load will change from inductive to capacitive, the output terminal voltage will increase. This may result in some increase in the iron losses and thereby decrease in the the efficiency very slightly.The regulation, however, will definitely change.There would be negative regulation for a capacitive load.
  • shubhankar
    shubhankar
    yeah i agree with saurabh. and i would like to add a little to the discussion. when the load becomes more and more capacitive, it actually starts supplying reactive power to the supply. thus the sending end voltage in less than the voltage on the load side. weired but true. this type of load is also called as a reactive power or VAR compensator. the regulation is positive on inductive load. it goes on decreasing as the load becomes less inductive and after a point of time it becomes negative.
  • narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    hope this may help you much
    Transformer - Wikipedia
  • rahul nehra
    rahul nehra
    but efficiency=output/input and in case of capacitive load output voltage is more than input hence efficiency should be different, this seems to be the cause of concern for me
  • baja
    baja
    I have read this question in some entrance exam books. Answer is "same".
  • baja
    baja
    @ Rahul: Efficiency of Transformer is purely bases in losses. Though Voltage and current varies There is no significant difference in losses. Hence its same.. like that i read.
  • narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    @rahul: its impossible output never be greater than input in practical because energy neither be created nor destroyed
  • rahul nehra
    rahul nehra
    i have one more doubt as why inductive loads consume power when it has been taught that the average power consumed by an inductor in one full cycle is zero because voltage and current are out of phase by 90 degree then when inductor releases its energy then shouldnt the rotor of alternator accelerate because it is free of supplying that reactive power at this moment and input ie mechanical is greater than electrical output
  • shubhankar
    shubhankar
    guys relax. firstly efficiency = output POWER/ input POWER. it not output voltage /input voltage.secondly,the efficiency is completely based on active power. i.e. the power which is consumed by the resistor. so even if the output voltage is greater than input, the current decreases on the output side which makes their product V X I constant. and V XI is active power. now about the inductor. though it is said that inductor consumes 0 power, but practically, the wire of which inductor is made has some resistance. that is why it consumes power. motion of the rotor is based on the supply of active power. not reactive. inductor has reactive power so no effect on the rotor speed.
  • shubhankar
    shubhankar
    i would like to correct Mr. baja a bit. iron losses are voltage dependent and copper losses are current dependent. so it does affects the efficiency if voltage and current vary. that is why a specific current density is fixed for the windings of the transformer.
  • rahul nehra
    rahul nehra
    alternator has to supply for total power ie apparent power and not the active one and reactive power has got demagnetising effect due to which terminal voltage reduces hence the reactive power aspect should also be considered and generator has to supply for both ie active and reactive and furthermore except lightening and heating loads all other loads are inductive
  • shubhankar
    shubhankar
    not all the reactive loads are demagnetising in nature. capacitive loads are magnetising and some loads are even cross magnetising. thus when the loads are magnetising, the alternator is called as over excited and it supplies reactive power to the supply. all the inductive loads are bound to make some or the other power loss. actually can i know your doubt about the inductors specifically?
  • sau
    sau
    what shubhankar says is 100% correct!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

How do I convert GPS data on a SONIM phone for transmission on a GSM/GPRS network?
Hi friends..... I am doing a project on flyback converter. So i want to simulate a flyback converter in pspice. Initially i want to simulate mosfet to know on off...
I just want to share another story. I just found it in a blog in Google. Hope you like it. Here's a link: https://filipinoachievers.wordpress.com/2010/07/01/joey-gurango-filipino-software-engineer/
Hey CEans Dont you think hostel life is such a nice experience. Read this FREEDOM If one has never been a hostler, life is indeed incomplete. I am sure our...
Hey CEans! I came to know Management requires a bank balance of around 20 lakh if done from a decent college. Is this Education made for rich people only? And...