Dont know what the problem exactly is :(. give tips for group discussion guys..

I have attended the some of the interviews recently. In both interview ,,I cleared first round aptitude irrespective of its toughness. I'm good at aptitude related stuffs... But in second round that is GD... I was not selected and dont know why..😔

also, I saw a guy, whose talk was really nice and clear. he was also not selected.

what exactly they look in GD? what to do to clear this round?? how to prepar for that??
give tips guys..

Replies

• Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    Here is a few tips of mine which I used to follow.

DO’s :-

1) Speak pleasantly and politely to the group.
    2) Remember that a discussion in not an argument. Learn to disagree politely.
    3) Try to stick to the discussion topic. Don’t introduce irrelevant information.
    4) Be aware of your body language when you are speaking.

DON’Ts :-

1) Lose your temper. A discussion is not an argument.
    2) Shout. Use a moderate tone and medium pitch.
    3) Use too many gestures when you speak. Gestures like finger pointing and table thumping can
    appear aggressive.
    4) Interrupt. Wait for a speaker to finish what they are saying before you speak.

Please correct me if anything is wrong.
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    sahithi pallavi
    Here is a few tips of mine which I used to follow.

DO’s :-

1) Speak pleasantly and politely to the group.
    2) Remember that a discussion in not an argument. Learn to disagree politely.
    3) Try to stick to the discussion topic. Don’t introduce irrelevant information.
    4) Be aware of your body language when you are speaking.

DON’Ts :-

1) Lose your temper. A discussion is not an argument.
    2) Shout. Use a moderate tone and medium pitch.
    3) Use too many gestures when you speak. Gestures like finger pointing and table thumping can
    appear aggressive.
    4) Interrupt. Wait for a speaker to finish what they are saying before you speak.

Please correct me if anything is wrong.
    well done sahithi, that was neat. I would like to add a few points from my experience in gds too 😀

gd is done to see the involvement of a person in a group and how he/she makes it with a group of people. It is done so that one can assess how a person will end up with his peers in the organization. Skills such as self participation, fluency in language, general knowledge, leadership skills are looked into during a gd so take care you tend to these.

1) like mentioned earlier, remember that gd is NOT a debate but a discussion. Make it look like you are casually discussing something with your friends(maintaining a proper decorum of course).
    2) listen to people and answer back when needed. Do not try to hog other's time as it counts negatively. you can interrupt if you want but use a proper phrase to start with. And do not keep interrupting all the time. make a point only if you need to.
    3) use your general knowledge to the maximum.
    4) show your leadership skills out there. make a non participating person participate in the talks. this is something that will earn you some extra points.
    5)do NOT look at the judges while taking part in the gd. remember, its not an interview but a group discussion with the participants. So speak to these people making direct eye contact and assume that all other people are non existent at the moment.

anything more guys?? 😀
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I personally don't approve GD as a means of eliminating candidates. But some companies have GDs as an integral part of their recruitment process. Here are the tips you may follow:

The importance is given to following points:

1. Do you have good content to contribute to the discussion?
    2. Can you put your point in a group of intellectuals?
    3. How clear you are in your thoughts.

Its highly possible that you may not have good content to contribute. In such a case, its a wise strategy to remain silent until you gather few points from others. If they allow you to keep a pen and paper, make sure that you note down the points you'd like to speak and then look for an opportunity to speak. More often, you will have to start by extending someone else's point or by disagreeing to it.

Speak calmly. Don't be in a hurry. I'm quite sure GD conductors would appreciate it.

Its sometimes wise to take up a stand and then come up with examples to support your points.

Keep cool head. That's all you need to win anywhere 😀
  • csiscool
    csiscool
    Thanks for the valuable inputs.;
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    Yes Biggie, these days every company is conducting GD as a part of their recruitment process and short listing the candidates. May be they will see our communication skills and our stuff regarding the topics through GDs I think.
  • csiscool
    csiscool
    I saw a guy, he talked well, his points are so good,he talked more number of times during 10 minutes. but I dont know why he is not got selected.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    csiscool
    I saw a guy, he talked well, his points are so good,he talked more number of times during 10 minutes. but I dont know why he is not got selected.
    Maybe that worked against him. If he didn't give others a chance to speak, he wasn't certainly being a team player.
  • csiscool
    csiscool
    yes,yes,He did not give chance to others..
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    csiscool
    yes,yes,He did not give chance to others..
    That's a actual reason,actually GD mainly indicates how you work effectively as a team player .One should also give chance to others to place their points.
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    I remember one of my experiences.

One day, while GD is going on, I initiated the topic and i said my opinion. After my talk, I pointed one person and asked "What do you say?". Is it wrong to let others to talk in GDs? My madem eliminated me only for this reason. She said, its a wrong one to let others to talk. And she asked me who are you to ask others to speak? Previously, One of my sir told me that if me make the others to talk, then it gives a good opinion on us for conductors. Its shows the team work. So, I done that. But, still I don't know whether its correct or incorrect?

Can anyone knows about it?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    @Pallavi: Your madam is wrong and you can take my word for that.

If you shouldn't let others talk, then you should be giving a speech and not participating in a group discussion (see, its 'discussion', not speech!). As I said earlier, GD does not come close to real life scenario when a group of individuals have to put forth their opinion in a short period of time. I wonder why GDs are conducted. Anyway.

I'd rather encourage everyone to think of GD as a means of productive discussion and decision making. A group can discuss a topic and may or may not come to a conclusion. It SHOULD NOT be competition and certainly not a way to eliminate candidates. I personally know many kick-ass coders/engineers who aren't very open when it comes to expressing their opinions in front of others. But give them the tools they need and they'll create magic.

In GD (if you must take part in it) make sure that you speak your points and if others aren't speaking, make others speak. It gives you more opportunity to add value to the discussion and also bring more points/opinions/ideas on the table.

Forget what your madam told you. I bet she has no experience of how things work in real world.
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    yes, GD is not a good one to eliminate candidates. Its a productive one. But some companies uses GDs to short list the candidates. So, we have to be clear about GDs also.

In GD (if you must take part in it) make sure that you speak your points and if others aren't speaking, make others speak. It gives you more opportunity to add value to the discussion and also bring more points/opinions/ideas on the table.
    Its absolutely right Biggie. I do follow. But, My Madam is saying that its a wrong thing according to the international procedure of GDs. Is there any exact procedure how to follow in GD? That day, I argued with her about 1 hour. But, she was not agreed with me. And eliminated me.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hii Ceans ! I am working on a project based on Power Factor Correction. I had downloaded a circuitory and wanted to do some improvisations in that. But am not...
I have created a HTML web page by applying CSS. This is my page having content
You Guys must have heard about admin password ,super admin but have you heard about syskey i.e used to make job of password crackers more difficult. Basically Microsoft Windows Security...
Let me know the selection criteria or guide for capacitors on a.c. load.
hi..i am jhilmil. doing B.tech from a good college in U.P. i want to do a summer training this time in any software company. i am from computer science. but...