Does any one has idea about Selenium(Automation Tool)

Does any one has idea about Selenium(Automation Tool).

I have only brief about this, and that too by just browsing over internet.

But does any one has worked on this tool? Means i want some detail idea about the same.

Replies

• vips78
    vips78
    Selenium is an platform independent web testing tool.

It is simple to use and supports record and playback functionality. In order to use the tool you need to install Selinium IDE for Mozilla. Once this is installed you will find Selinium IDE option in the tools menu of the firefox browser.

With selinium you can record the activities performed on your browsers and this is saved in the form of an html file. later on this can be executed on any browser/platform.

The best use of the Selenium tool is to check for the browser/OS compatibility against the designed application.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Than you, Vips78 😀 !

Archana, try downloading Selenium from here -

#-Link-Snipped-#

Its a simple firefox extension and very easy to use. I haven't used the tool but I have hear lot of good things about it 😀 Anyone experienced in Selenium here?
  • Archana Kannouj
    Archana Kannouj
    But my doubt is can we use it for complex applications. I tried using Selenium and dont find much features like other automation tool.. So if you have any more details. Can you please provide me.

And does it provide only record play mode only. If no, then how can we develop our own scripts.

Regards,
    Archana
  • pradeep_agrawal
    pradeep_agrawal
    Hi Archana,

You can give OpenSTA a try. OpenSTA is an ideal toolset for automation and performance testing of web applications. It support record play mode like Selenium and allow scripting also. it has some more good fetures. It supplies versatile software that enables you to create and run HTTP/S load Tests and production monitoring Tests to help evaluate target systems. Tests can also be used to monitor and collect performance data.

OpenSTA is available for download at #-Link-Snipped-#

-Pradeep
  • kamskans
    kamskans
    Archana Kannouj
    But my doubt is can we use it for complex applications. I tried using Selenium and dont find much features like other automation tool.. So if you have any more details. Can you please provide me.

And does it provide only record play mode only. If no, then how can we develop our own scripts.

Regards,
    Archana
    Hi Archana,
    Selenium does not have a UI for developing scripts like other automation tools like QTP etc. Even the IDE(firefox-plugin) can only do record playback features.
    But if you can learn to work with selenium-RC then I cannot think of any other tool that is so good.

Selenium RC comes in two parts. The first is the server and second a client-library that contains all the methods for testing.

I would first suggest that you read through the documentation provided in seleniumhq.org that is very comprehensive in itself.
    If you chose to work with java then download Eclipse IDE, include the selenium Jar files in the classpath and start developing scripts.

It is definitely tough to start with selenium but once you get the hang of it, then its super good.

Even google uses selenium to test its applications 😀
    Post your doubts while you learn ,we'll help you out.
  • kamskans
    kamskans
    oops just now noticed that this an old thread...mods sorry for bringing it up!
  • 4M4N
    4M4N
    Selenium is a robust set of tools that supports rapid development of test automation for web-based applications. Selenium provides a rich set of testing functions specifically geared to the needs of testing of a web application. These operations are highly flexible, allowing many options for locating UI elements and comparing expected test results against actual application behavior.

One of Selenium’s key features is the support for executing one’s tests on multiple browser platforms.

Components are:
    Selenium-IDE
    Selenium-RC (Remote Control)
    Selenium-Grid
  • themask
    themask
    Selenium Remote control is the real Hero which plays the vital part in UI Automation.
    1. Record keystrokes/Mouse movement using Selenium-IDE.
    2. Save the captured sequence in PHP or any other language. default is HTML
    3. In your server, run the Server Jar file and run a similar jar file in the client also.
    4. Now run your captured seq. file from the server. Say if your file is stored in php, then run it as php captured.php
    5. this will invoke the php file and send the keystorkes/mouse movements to the Client. the Selenium RC does this job.
    6. in the client machine, a new Firefox instance will start and start executing the captured sequence.
    7. If all the sequence is run correctly and passes your validation criteria, then the testcase is passed.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Datasheetpro.com - Search Electronic Components recently released Beta version of the Free data sheet search site for use by component and design engineers. The site includes over 2 million part...
Hi all want a short intro abot JTAG interface visit PCB design and post your doubts and suggestions. Thanks subbu
Hi, Im new to CE. would always like to be part of the knowledge sharing that would be taking place here at CE site.
Hi, Does anyone have an idea about SCOMO for application management in mobile phones. Is it a standard or an OS for managing applications on mobile phones? Pls help if...
Hi all, While looking for placements papers, I came across this site which not only gives the placement papers but a detailed paper pattern for each of the companies. Also...