Do you use public WiFi available at Airports, Cafe, Events, etc ?

Just for research purpose, I would be glad if active members of CE could respond to below questions :

1. How many of you uses Free WiFi network provided by telecom operators ?

2. What are the public spots where you usually use them ?

3. If you're allotted 100 MBps bandwidth browsing speed using WiFi, would you prefer to use WiFi over LTE while your quota is deducted from your total 4G quota ?

4. Considering you as 'aam aadmi' and not a techie, are you aware of Mobile data offload ? (Please answer without using google for MDO)

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

Have used foreign airport wifi on a couple of trips. Don’t use public wifi in India.

Generally I avoid surfing while traveling. Prefer to catchup on reading.

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

Frankly speaking, I have used public Wi-Fi; but I tend to avoid them. I'm super happy with Jio offers in India. I don't have to rely on WiFi.

However, I recently travelled out of India and had to rely on free WiFi available at malls and Airports. 

1. I avoid using it.

2. Airports (mostly)

3. Nope. I typically restrict myself to checking emails on mobile or laptop. I don't do any critical transactions (like credit or debit card payments) or any other financial transactions using free wifi.

4. Nope ( ? )

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

Just in case anyone's wondering, here's how hackers get control of your stuff -

Watch This Russian Hacker Break Into Our Computer In Minutes | CNBC - YouTube

Do watch it! 

• yorha 2b
    yorha 2b

Interesting. What if you're not using 'Free-WiFi' (open SSID) but a secure one which upon connecting can deduct quota from 4G plan and deliver you speed as fast as WiFi (100 Mbps) ?

I would love to see more input from fellow CEans. 

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I'm wondering if ants can cause short circuit in an electronic circuit or computer's motherboard. I've been noticing sudden rise in the population of ants (mostly because of rainy reason)...