difference between uncoupled and coupoled locomotive

what is the differance between uncoupled and coupoled locomotive ?give me the example of both type of locomotive?

Replies

• mechky
    mechky
    In coupled locomotives, a driving wheel is driven by the locomotive's pistons and the driving wheels are all coupled together with side rods or coupling rods. Normally one pair is directly driven by the main rod which is connected to the end of the piston rod and power is transmitted to the others through the side rods. eg. Steam Locomotives

In uncoupled locomotives, the driving wheels are directly driven by the traction motors. Coupling rods are not used. eg. Diesel & Electric Locomotives.
  • vikaskumar11233
    vikaskumar11233
    Locomotives are of two type coupled and uncoupled.If two or more pairs of wheels are coupled together to increase the adhesive force between the wheels and the track,it is called coupled otherwise uncoupled.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

what is the differance between impact and impulse?and also what is the differance between kinetic and dynamic?
Hello all again, I am a Mechanical engineer from Mathura and I want to know what is the physical significance of momentum? Any kind of explanation, links, videos or tutorials...
I gave exam for ECIL GET-2012 for CSE on June 10th 2012 here i am giving exam pattern and some of the questions they asked in the exam. 1)Exam consists...
Hello guys i need some help regarding on how to model a volumetric heat flux in ansys??
Can Any one Suggest me a good Softwares for drawing Process Flow Diagrams and P&I Diagrams. Any good Software will do..