Difference between electrical and electronics?

hey, sorry to ask, but wat is the difference between electrical and electronics?? a basic question though, but most of the people have their different views......... so guys.........

Replies

• freak16
    freak16
    Electrical is working with high voltages and conductors insulators though with power electronics electrical deal with semiconductors also but the main domain in electrical is power apparatus power systems and power electronics with all electronics things
    Electonics is all about semiconductors . ics and working with low voltages ..
  • lovejeet
    lovejeet
    means the main difference is the working voltage only???????
  • freak16
    freak16
    Yes it is the most basic difference..by the best of my knowledge
  • NDL
    NDL
    In simple way the things which needs to be plug in to work or which needs the direct electricity to work that is electrical like T.V, Iron, Fan etc.
    And electronics are those which can work on cells or battery like your cell phone, transistor etc...
  • Arp
    Arp
    i think
    in electronics we generally deal in lower value of current (mA or so) and voltages(in V)
    in electrical we deal with higher value(kA and KV).
    i suppose not sure...
  • sankaran
    sankaran
    i think electronics is a moment of electrons in a semiconductors or circuit..
    electrical is refer to power.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    In the early days of IIT Madras, there were only heavy current and light current streams. The former was electrical and the latter was electronics.
  • Reya
    Reya
    @sankaran: If you dont know the meaning of electronics,why dont you learn in wikipedia or some other sites.

Electrons in semiconductor at a particular point in time is called electronics?

Wow! what a definition!
  • anuj kumar singh
    anuj kumar singh
    the diffrence between electrical & electronics is that in electrical high range of voltage & current are used as compare to electronics... and in electrical insulator , capacitor are used but in electronics semiconductor is used
  • Anthony Jarmie
    Anthony Jarmie
    Hi,

I know electronics deals with low power and electrical with high power, but I want to know more technical difference.

Does anyone have an idea please help me?

Thanks and regards
    Anthony Jarmie
  • aarthivg
    aarthivg
    Anthony Jarmie
    Hi,

I know electronics deals with low power and electrical with high power, but I want to know more technical difference.

Thanks and regards
    Anthony Jarmie
    In simple words
    "electrical" means flow of electrons.
    "electronics" means study of electrons.

โ€‹
  • naga lakshmi
    naga lakshmi
    The study of conductors is Electrical. The study of semicoductors is Electonics
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    Some more replies in ->

#-Link-Snipped-#
  • DHINESH BABU.G
    DHINESH BABU.G
    The current flows through the conductor is electrical and the current flows through the semi-conductors is electronics.
  • Mr.Don
    Mr.Don
    Electronics is anything having to do with semiconductors, silicon or germanium, eg circuits involving diodes, tranistors etc(these regulate currents for better efficiency).While Electrical means generating electricity(major) and controlling it where no semiconductors are involved . eg motors , generators, and circuits involving capacitors, inductors.

Hope the below link will provide more information to you ๐Ÿ˜€

#-Link-Snipped-#
  • Arnav Joshi
    Arnav Joshi
    aarthivg
    In simple words
    "electrical" means flow of electrons.
    "electronics" means study of electrons.
    โ€‹
    โ€‹
    I would like to add something to this , electronics means 'controlled' flow of electrons.
  • Sparker
    Sparker
    but some how I would liketo add extra point,Electronics is something which uses electrical signal to transmitt datas or information but Electrical issomethong we used to transmitt power or energy to do something.
    So basically electonics is main concern with Datas or Information meanwhile Electrical take care of power,
  • Bionic
    Bionic
    Electronic engineering is a branch of engineering which deals with the study of current flowing at a low voltage in certain kind of materials mainly semi conductors such as silicon while electrical deals with the study of current flowing in a very high voltage of many thousand volts in certain materials such as copper these materials are mainly good conductors...

Areas of specialization in electrical engineering include
    *Power devices
    =electrical machines
    =power electronic
    =electromagnetic field
    *Power system
    *Automatic control systems

while electronic engineering include
    *Electronic circuit
    *communications
    *computer technology
    *control system

though both are not too different, they share many things in common.
  • lalit.joshi
    lalit.joshi
    Anthony Jarmie
    Hi,

Thanks and regards
    Anthony Jarmie
    well... anthony i am new in CE, i have jst seen your question now and i think i can assure you about electronics and electrical. simply electronics deals with flow of current and its application and uses low power whereas electrical deals with generation, transmission, utilisation of current. as well as earlier electrical equipments are regulated manually but now with the help of electronics devices like robotss,๐Ÿ˜€
  • Bionic
    Bionic
    Electronic engineering is a branch of engineering which deals with the study of current flowing at a low voltage in certain kind of materials mainly semi conductors such as silicon while electrical deals with the study of current flowing in a very high voltage of many thousand volts in certain materials such as copper these materials are mainly good conductors...

*Power devices
    =electrical machines
    =power electronic
    =electromagnetic field
    *Power system

*Electronic circuit
    *communications
    *computer technology
    *control system

• lovejeet
    lovejeet
    Bionic

*Power devices
    =electrical machines
    =power electronic
    =electromagnetic field
    *Power system

*Electronic circuit
    *communications
    *computer technology
    *control system

quite satisfying answer. but then, how can one decide that the study of how much current belong to which category, ie. electrical and electronics?? i mean, what is the distinguishing limit of the current value for both the cases?
  • Bionic
    Bionic
    lovejeet
    quite satisfying answer. but then, how can one decide that the study of how much current belong to which category, ie. electrical and electronics?? i mean, what is the distinguishing limit of the current value for both the cases?

well its not fix but lies within a certain range of values for electronics lets say its current of operation lies mainly within the range of 100uA to 250uA and below.
    For electrical its range may lie within the range of say 33MW and above
    In electronic mainly it depends on the type of semiconductor used.
  • lovejeet
    lovejeet
    Bionic
    well its not fix but lies within a certain range of values for electronics lets say its current of operation lies mainly within the range of 100uA to 250uA and below.
    For electrical its range may lie within the range of say 33MW and above
    In electronic mainly it depends on the type of semiconductor used.
    33 MW and above for electrical?? you know what it means?? and MW isn't the unit used for measuring current too.
    so devices with 1 A to 12 A will come in which category then??
  • Bionic
    Bionic
    well
    lovejeet
    33 MW and above for electrical?? you know what it means?? and MW isn't the unit used for measuring current too.
    so devices with 1 A to 12 A will come in which category then??

Well we can still include that range within electrical, I was just trying to give an estimate of what kind of high current and voltage electrical uses.
  • FerdousMostofa
    FerdousMostofa
    lovejeet
    hey, sorry to ask, but wat is the difference between electrical and electronics?? a basic question though, but most of the people have their different views......... so guys.........
    (I am not that much confident but with hel of wiki.ans) elctrical i.e things or when dealings comes related to devices those are run or use electricity on the other hand electronics refers to (as the name at a glance refers to electrons) dealing with semiconductor devices like MOSFET, Transistors as there are question of movement of electrons or hole i.e proton(theoretically)
  • lovejeet
    lovejeet
    FerdousMostofa
    (I am not that much confident but with hel of wiki.ans) elctrical i.e things or when dealings comes related to devices those are run or use electricity on the other hand electronics refers to (as the name at a glance refers to electrons) dealing with semiconductor devices like MOSFET, Transistors as there are question of movement of electrons or hole i.e proton(theoretically)
    aren't they alike? electricity means flow of electrons only. get a deeper study on the topic.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    When IIT, Madras, irst strted, electrical engineering and electronics were differentiated only as Light Current and Heavy Current engineering. AS I had mentioned in another thread quite often discussions are more on semantics than logic. There is nothing much to argue about except based on the individual's own meaning of the terms. No conclusion can be reached. Best to agree to disagree.
  • lovejeet
    lovejeet
    ohhh........isn't it ambiguous then, sir? maybe not since there may not have been any need to clearly distinguishing both terms.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    lovejeet
    ohhh........isn't it ambiguous then, sir? maybe not since there may not have been any need to clearly distinguishing both terms.
    You are probably right.With the kind of controls used in modern distribution and the use of heavy current electronic equipment for many areas, the distinction is blurring.
  • Bionic
    Bionic
    there is nothing to be confused about the two fields. Electronic is a special field of specialization of electronics electronics was formerly a branch of electrical engineering, but it became so wide and complex that it has to be made a separate field of specialty.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Yeah right; that's the reason why most of the textbooks in both courses are usually the same. I however admit that I'd have loved to study few of the topics in depth that are usually taught to electronics engineers.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    electricals

deals with conductors and insulators like RESISTORS, INDUCTORS AND CAPACITORS.

electronics

deals with semiconductors like DIODES and TRANSISTORS.
  • NAVATHE SACHIN
    NAVATHE SACHIN
    electronics deals with low voltages upto 15 volts where electrical deals with high voltages .
  • KZ 259
    KZ 259
    electronic engineers usually focus on consumer goods. electric engineers focus on electric motors, radar and navigation systems, communications systems, and power generation equipment. this source can be found at:

Electrical and Electronics Engineers : Occupational Outlook Handbook: : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I think this is a very old thread and it is time to close this.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Q 1. A man driving a car then see his spedometer the number is palindrome . the number is 13931 km. after driving for 2hr then he see the another...
hello friends, I have some problem in controlling sound in my music player i used floatcontrol in order to control the volume check this. FloatControl volume = (FloatControl) c.getControl(FloatControl.Type.MASTER_GAIN); volume.setValue(-20.63f);...
CEans ... Dr. Ashok Agarwal graduated from BITS Pilani and later went to do Ph.D from the University of Minnesota. His experience includes working with Bell Telephone Labs and then...
Discuss the official announcement about our exclusive small talk with Mr. Ashok Agrwal, the chairman of engineers without borders: https://www.crazyengineers.com/forum...chairman-engineers-without-borders-india.html in this thread ๐Ÿ˜€
CEans, Here's our official Happy New Year Greetings Thread. Convey your wishes to all our engineers throughout the world here. ๐Ÿ˜* HaPPy New Year To All Crazy Engineers * ๐Ÿ˜...