CS Vs. IT Jobs - Is there any difference in job placements and salary?

I'm not sure if this is discussed here before, but this is a confusion all my batchmates have. At the time of choosing a branch, we found that there was not much difference in the subjects taught to CS (Computer Science) or IT (Information Technology) students in our college. 

I think that somehow many students favored CS, but IT also equally bright students. I'm in the third year and will soon have placement training in college. There are rumors that when companies come for placements they will give preference to CS. Is that true? 

Also, is there any difference in the salary offered at the time of placement? Is it preferrable to talk to the HR about this?

Did anyone here face similar situation? Would love any help I can get here.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

I guess, there's no difference. IT companies these days have began hiring non-engineers as well and they've been recruiting engineers from mechanical, electrical and other 'non-computer' branches for several years now. 

Yes, after placement, I've seen some bias towards offering 'development' role to CS grads and 'testing/support' role to non-computer grads. However, I've not seen any discrimination between CS and IT branches. 

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello, I am a 2017 passout with a btech degree in ece. Soon after college i started preparing for govt exams. Due to delay in ssc exams i have decided...
I could see plenty of copyright good (must buy) books are in Downloads section.When I get free time during weekend, I will start reporting each of them. Please remove them....
Is it good to do civil software courses during last sem of engineering or after completion of engineering,  am confused when to go for courses.
I m currently in final year of my Diploma (CSE) and later this week we have our industrial training Practical exam were we have to submit our training letter and...
Machine Design says: Looking to make a case for your career choice to others? Here are some tidbits that washed up out of the web, all providing reasons for becoming...