Countdown to Copenhagen

[​IMG]

#-Link-Snipped-#

I request all CEans to go on the site and take the pledge for saving the environment

December 2009's UN Copenhagen summit will set the agenda for the next stage of the fight against climate change.

It will set the international framework to combat climate change into the next decade and beyond.

The pledge is a chance for you to show your commitment to tackling climate change, taking action in your own life aswell as putting pressure on your government to take action too!

If your country doesn’t have a link please take the international pledge instead. The Copenhagen talks won’t work for the world’s poorest people without an international call to action.

Play your part - take action today.

Replies

• sarveshgupta
    sarveshgupta
    Also post your views on how to make the combat more successful

As The Copenhagen climate conference in December 2009 is where the successor to the Kyoto protocol – which expires in 2012 – is set to be agreed.

The Countdown has begun
  • sarveshgupta
    sarveshgupta
    Has any CEan taken the pledge?
  • sarveshgupta
    sarveshgupta
    The summit has begun

Leaders from all over the world are there to discuss the strategy for the next decade to save out climate

The approach that must be taken toward the nature
  • sarveshgupta
    sarveshgupta
    Countdown to Copenhagen ends in vain without any major consensus

Sad 😔

No emission reduction targets set in the Summit

There was whole lot of churning minds from all over the world but what they concluded is being seen as a nothing substancial
  • sarveshgupta
    sarveshgupta
    See what the viewpoints of global leaders in their own words

BARACK OBAMA, US PRESIDENT

We're going to have to build on the momentum that we've established here in Copenhagen to ensure that international action to significantly reduce emissions is sustained and sufficient over time. We've come a long way but we have much further to go.

GORDON BROWN, UK PRIME MINISTER

We have made a start. I believe that what we need to follow up on quickly is ensuring a legally binding outcome.

JOSE MANUEL BARROSO, EU COMMISSION PRESIDENT

I will not hide my disappointment regarding the non-binding nature of the agreement here. In that respect the document falls far short of our expectations.

NICOLAS SARKOZY, FRENCH PRESIDENT

The text we have is not perfect... If we had no deal, that would mean that two countries as important as India and China would be freed from any type of contract... the United States, which is not in Kyoto, would be free of any type of contract. That's why a contract is absolutely vital.

XIE ZHENHUA, HEAD OF CHINA'S DELEGATION

The meeting has had a positive result, everyone should be happy. After negotiations both sides have managed to preserve their bottom line. For the Chinese this was our sovereignty and our national interest.

SERGIO SERRA, BRAZIL'S CLIMATE CHANGE AMBASSADOR

It's very disappointing, I would say, but it is not a failure... if we agree to meet again and deal with the issues that are still pending. We have a big job ahead to avoid climate change through effective emissions reduction targets and this was not done here.

JOHN SAUVEN, GREENPEACE UK

The city of Copenhagen is a crime scene tonight, with the guilty men and women fleeing to the airport. There are no targets for carbon cuts and no agreement on a legally binding treaty. It seems there are too few politicians in this world capable of looking beyond the horizon of their own narrow self-interest, let alone caring much for the millions of people who are facing down the threat of climate change.

JOHN ASHE, CHAIR OF KYOTO PROTOCOL TALKS

Given where we started and the expectations for this conference, anything less than a legally binding and agreed outcome falls far short of the mark. On the the other hand... perhaps the bar was set too high and the fact that there's now a deal... perhaps gives us something to hang our hat on.

So what are your thoughts on the summit ?

I think most of things have been still left hanging up in the air.. Maybe they should do a rethink... because it is not the matter of one, 100, 1000 or many but of the whole planet Earth

source: bbc
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    see sarvesh
    We can't force anyone to do something..global warming is a big issue..and everyone knows it's harmful effects on future generation
    Until we ourself think....we can't get a solution for this...
    Today most of the countries think only for their development...if we take India
    A country whose minister's are busy in thinking for their own good sake and maintaining their government...then what can you expect from them.
    I have also heard they haev decided to give money to poor countries to avoid climate change ...
    I don't understand this????Is it really help???

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Apple Inc has acquired digital music service Lala, as the dominant online music retailer explores new models for selling songs. ITunes is the leading music service in the United States...
Hello CEans This thread has been started so that all the CEans can post their loved images Post the image you like the most be it from any category While...
What is the difference between a blog and a website?What are the advantages of a website over a blog? We find people having a blog and a website but then...
Hi CEans, We all have read many poems in our lives ("may also have read due to some compulsions") .Anyways post your favorite poem or any particular verse in the...
If you want to get your hands dirty trying out the Google Chrome extensions, head over to : Google Chrome Extensions Enjoy!