Could the computer in your car be hacked?

I got this curious question in my mind while reading about something today.

I haven't heard of any news till date about someone hacking into automatic drive systems. But it's a possibility and it could compromise the safety of these vehicles and could also lead to stealing of them.
As vehicles are increasingly computerized, researchers will soon look at this as the future of cyber attacks. 😕

In a paper presented at a computer security conference last year, some researchers presented about "bypass rudimentary network security protections within the car" and the research team also showed how an attack could embed malicious code in a vehicle and then erase any evidence of its presence after a crash.

What are your views and opinions about this? Is it possible? And if yes, what are the protective measures for it?

Replies

• durga ch
    durga ch
    A whole area of research is dedicated for networking in vehicles. If time, search for VANETs ( Vehicular ADHOC Networks).
    There are lot of implications here. depending on the structure of network being implemented. A simple example would be - imagine your street lamps being fixed with Wireless APs and as you car passes , there is a constant hand off which occurs between the APs and in case a rogue AP pops up and you end up being handed over through that AP to another genuine AP, your car security have already been compromised. There can be many other instances of security being compromised , like other nodes within the adhoc network which are not necessarily genuine.

As far as security measures go, I beleive they should again be lying in AAA part of the session establishment

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

i am beginner in asp.net and c# both lang i need help for those lang pls help me by sending websites for beginners Thx, Dhaval
[video=youtube;-Ycr0WSCb7w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ycr0WSCb7w[/video] Nearly two days after Monica Kirnapure - a third-year engineering student - was murdered in broad daylight in Nagpur, police are still groping in the dark about her killers....
I came across this video on TED and couldn't stop myself from sharing it with you all. [video=youtube;ajKMkIXN1eg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajKMkIXN1eg[/video]
I am doing my design and fabrication project to increase the efficiency of windmill.Can any body suggest an idea to reduce the static or stagnation pressure generated,so that there is...
Hi everbody, This is Ankur, a chemical engineer with 26 years experience in commissioning, operations and process design. I am new to CE but a veteran in forums and blogging....