Cooling systems.

Hey friends I want to start a discussion about different cooling systems used in automobiles especially in cars.
For example radiators.But there are many types of them.So we can discuss about them and their different types,Can't we?
What say everyone?

Replies

• narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    i think this may help to my friends
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    I would like to explain in brief what cooling arrangement in engine is all about :
    1.Water jackets:
    the cylinder block and cylinder head have internal passages also called as water jackets,that surround the cylinder and combustion chamber.
    Water mixed with antifreeze(i.e; coolant) flows through water jackets thus picking up heat.
    2.Water pump:
    Water pump pushes hot coolant out of water jackets ,make them pass through radiator makes it cool.
    Hence we can use the same coolant again and again.
    3.Thermostat:
    A thermostatic valve also called a thermostat controls coolant flow.
    When engine is cold,the thermostat closes to prevent coolant circulation to radiator.
    This keeps all the heat in the engine so it warms up quickly.
    The engine produces excessive exhaust emissions of HC and CO when cold.
    As the engine warms up,the thermostat allows the coolant to flow through radiator.
    4.Radiator:
    The radiator is a heat exchanger with two sets of passages.One set is for coolant while other for outside air.
    In the radiator,the coolant loses heat to passing air.Then that coolant flows through water jacket again to pick up the heat again.
    The coolant circulates between water jacket and Radiator continuously.
    5.Fan:
    Friends I think no need to explain 'FAN',is it?
    Well,it pulls or pushes outside air through radiator.This improves engine cooling,especially at idle and low speed.

These and other parts work continuously work together to control engine temperature and prevent overheating.
  • gohm
    gohm
    closed loop evaporative type cooling systems are predominantly used in automobiles today.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Pragyan is back guys, with loads of new events. Check them out here. Pragyan 11, NIT Trichy, 17 - 20 Feb 2011.
energy souces like the solar and the wind are being given importance now a days. our former president Dr. Abdul kalaam has a vision that by 2030, the tribals at...
hi everyone. i feel that the NGO's in various countries should take up projects from the government and pass on the work to the poorer and the unemployed group of...
The S band is currently making headlines in India! One of India’s prestigious Organizations, Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) is in middle of the controversy. There are speculations that this...
"Computers are killing human intelligence"