Concepts of enthalpy and internal energy

Hi I m a mechanical engineer and I was going through my books of thermodynamics n stucked with concepts related to enthalpy n internal energy..
my Q is why internal energy is function of V,T & enthalpy function of P,T
plz someone help me

Replies

• ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Hi shehbaz,
    Internal energy is energy arising in the form of motions of molecules.The energy is manifested as translational,rotational and vibrational movements of molecules.
    This form of energy depends generally on the temperature and measured above a certain temperature reference.
    it is denoted by 'U' where dU=m*(sp.heat at const volume)*dT
    in other words whenever you are boiling water,you are adding heat hence tempereture increases.To measure the amount of heat added in atoms and molecules the term internal energy is used.
    Now enthalpy is denoted by 'h' where h=u+pv;
    here p*v is nothing but work done in a process.
    we can say that enthapy is sum of internal energy and work done in a process.
    Now coming to your question,just look at the terms involved in these equations.and if You find any term missing,go through any reference book for indepth derivation.😀
  • shehbaz
    shehbaz
    While going through derivations to determine internal energy,I came to know that U is dependent upon volume(v) & temperature(t)i.e. U=U(V,T),,,now if I see enthaply(H)
    ,,it is given as H=U + PV,,,
    on RHS:-
    U= U(V,T) &
    P=P(V,T) -->from characteristic gas equation.
    so, from this I can say that H is function of V and T,,
    Now my Q which arises by looking above inter-relation," is both U & H functions of V & T ? ".
    if yes then y H is said to be the function of P & T
    Thks for the reply sir.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

After reading some thread, the thought occurred in my mind of starting this thread. I hope it will help a lot of students What do you think Guys? Which one...
Rome is known for it's engineering marvels. They defied the laws of nature to build exceptionally breath-taking big structures. See the story of the Byzantine Empire of the Greeks: [video=youtube;yymXqXabqls]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yymXqXabqls&feature=related[/video]...
An engineering comic by PHD (Piled High and Deeper). I have experienced this once. 😛
There are many engineers who've spent some time in the corporate world who face the dilemma whether they should take the plunge or continue in their job. There are students...
CEans, Why not tell us about the start-ups incubated in your college's e-cell? I see a new trend coming up among engineering colleges to host an entrepreneurship cell and incubate...