Compressed Air Engine

hi friends.. am doing prefinal year BE in mechanical stream.. i've planned to construct an compressed air engine which can able to propel a two wheeler.. i strucked with the ideas.. is it possible to increase the torque of engine by using light weight metals like aluminium..?? if so how much bar of compressed air can i use..?? i wil be grateful if ur ideas helps me to go forward with my project..!! please help me..!!

thank you all... i wil be looking forward for ur valuable ideas..

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    There are any number of pneumatic tools and one car (Airpod) rubnning on compressed air. It is rumoured that TATA is going to make the car for India.
    A compressed air engine can be reciprocating (rather like a compressor in reverse) or a turbine. If you are looking only at an end of term project, consider modifying an existing small compressor to work in reverse as a motor.
  • hariprasad92
    hariprasad92
    thanks for ur suggestion sir..!! i ll take tat in account.. i've started working by modifying a splendor engine. i ll update my status regarding my project..
    thank you..!!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    hariprasad92
    thanks for ur suggestion sir..!! i ll take tat in account.. i've started working by modifying a splendor engine. i ll update my status regarding my project..
    thank you..!!
    ...and upload photos as well. It would make everything more interesting 😀
  • Nitesh_Verma
    Nitesh_Verma
    hi.. i am nitesh verma final year mechanical student.. i am going to make a air compressed engine in my final year project.. i want to know that where i should start it ? and what's its requirements and process?
  • rohith_shankar
    rohith_shankar
    how do you plan to store the compressed air??
  • Gurjap
    Gurjap
    I would suggest using a two-stroke engine, if you need to run a reciprocating machine on compressed air. Those are optimal for this kind of application.

In a four-stroke engine, you'd have to fiddle with valves and their timing and what-not, whereas a two-stroke engine would have no valves (and hence no valve timing mechanisms) and it'll be more compact and lightweight.
  • hariprasad92
    hariprasad92
    guys... what if i use some electro-mechanical systems as an alternatives for conventional cam system in a four stroke engine.. we've planned to remove the entire system and use solenoid valves as an alternative..??

thanks in advance for ur valuable critics...!!
  • Gurjap
    Gurjap
    your engine is now essentially gonna be two-stroke; the first is when you open (the formerly) inlet valve and the compressed air fills the cylinder. After BDC, you open the other valve and the "blowdown" will occur (if I may use that term when there is no burned gas 😛). This will cause the used air to rush out the exhaust pipe (if you are using that). This will be start of the second stroke. I have to stress that you open the outlet valve immediately after the piston reached BDC, or it will start needlessly re-compressing the air.

About what you've said about the timing system, you will need to modify that if your engine is four stroke, as is obvious from the above paragraph. If the one you have is mechanical, removing it in favor of a solenoid one is not a bad idea; if you know how to control that one.
  • hariprasad92
    hariprasad92
    Gurjap
    your engine is now essentially gonna be two-stroke; the first is when you open (the formerly) inlet valve and the compressed air fills the cylinder. After BDC, you open the other valve and the "blowdown" will occur (if I may use that term when there is no burned gas 😛). This will cause the used air to rush out the exhaust pipe (if you are using that). This will be start of the second stroke. I have to stress that you open the outlet valve immediately after the piston reached BDC, or it will start needlessly re-compressing the air.

About what you've said about the timing system, you will need to modify that if your engine is four stroke, as is obvious from the above paragraph. If the one you have is mechanical, removing it in favor of a solenoid one is not a bad idea; if you know how to control that one.
    thanks for ur reply mate..!! now am in great confusion tat wil it be possible to give accurate timing for opening and closing of valves at the exact positions( TDC & BDC ).. but i gonna give it a try..!!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I somehow got Tata Docomo regular SIM cut into micro SIM to fit in iPad 2. Since I'm not quite satisfied with Tata Docomo service I want to switch over...
my final year project is voice recogniton.... but i got stuckd.... i m unable to do anything plz help... i m using java
Please suggest me a good , easy to learn (and also available in market) book on algorithms using c++, which can help me in competitive programming.
Hey guys, ii have started learning STAAD.PRO on my own through the guides that they have provided but i need to explore more, ask questions, clear my doubts etc. So,...
Dear all, I wish the journey of our friendship will be a new story in the future. Wish me best of luck. Archan