Comparison between pinch off and cut off voltage

hi,

When we compute the pinch off voltage for an n channel JFET, we always do it by keeping Vgs = 0 and then the value of Vds for which the channel conductivity ceases is noted. Now when we try to find out the cut-off voltage Vgs(off) it is the gate source voltage for which the channel ceases its conduction. My question is do we keep Vds = 0 during the calculation of cut-off voltage.

Replies

• Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Your first statement is not correct
    proffy
    When we compute the pinch off voltage for an n channel JFET, we always do it by keeping Vgs = 0 and then the value of Vds for which the channel conductivity ceases is noted.
    Here we keep a constant Vgs through out the testing process without changing it

It may not be zero at any time.

This will make the next part easier for

You just need to keep a constant Vds through out the test to calculate the Vgs at which you have the needed solution

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hello everyone, Could you provide the explanation for the negative coefficient of thermal resistance of a JFET device in terms of electrons, holes and their transport mechanism etc. In want...
hello, In an n channel JFET why is it that a reverse bias existing between the gate and the source despite the fact that we are shorting the gate and...
Nokia HERE has announced that it is launching a community mapping pilot program in India, the first major country where HERE will combine its industrial data collection methods with a...
Google India is in talks with several Direct To Home (DTH) operators in India to deliver YouTube videos directly to your television sets. Francisco Varela, who heads platform partnerships at...
Hi friends doing my project on reconfiguration of radial distribution network, my lecturer ask me to Using GA.. can any body help me to do with the matlab coding for...