Cochin International Airport (CIAL) Goes Solar

The Cochin International Airport (CIAL) has set an example for others by being the first ever airport in India that's fully powered by solar power. On August 18, Kerala chief minister Mr. Oommen Chandy will inaugurate the newly constructed 12MW solar power plant. The solar plant has been built inside the airport premises with an aim to power all the electronic equipments and general infrastructure at the airport.

With 100% adaption of solar power, the Cochin International Airport has become a first ever, truly green airport in India. The CIAL proposed to built the new plant based on the success of two smaller solar plants which were constructed about two years ago. The first one was a 100 KW peak plant which was then upgraded to 1000 KW peak capacity. The CIAL authorities decided to allot about 45 acres of area next to the cargo complex at the airport.

Cochin-International-Airport-Solar

The solar power plant comprises of about 46000 solar panels that produce 52000 units of power on daily basis. This power generation is enough to meet the entire power requirement of the airport and therefore CIAL can now be called the fully green airport.

The government invested about Rs. 62 Cr for the entire project. The CIAL authorities will now construct about 8 hydel projects spread across the state to produce about 50 MW of power. It took a period of about 6 months for the project to complete. The power generated by the solar power plant will be fed to the KSEB grid and bought back by the CIAL.

It's expected that this solar power plant will help CIAL reduce the carbon emissions about 1.75 lakh MT over the next 25 years. Just to put the things in perspective - this would be equivalent to planting about 30 lakh trees.

Source: Cochin International Airport set to become India's first fully solar powered airport - The Economic Times

Replies

• Prikshit Jasrotia
    Prikshit Jasrotia
    best thing ive ever heard nd solar energy on such a large quantity.......
    hats offf!!!!!!!!!!!!
    #proud2beanIndian
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    A great step forward indeed.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I'm pretty new to the phpStorm IDE and Github as well. I already have an account on Github and have spent time exploring it; but I'm still not familiar with...
Being born and brought up in a traditional Marwadi family where for long being self-employed has been the norm, in the heart of hearts, Pravesh Dudani always knew that he...
Anybody can explain steps or procedures for starting own online retailing. What are the technical and legal terms need to be consider. How taxations and invoices should be generate. Thanks!
I am going to give my AMCAT and Elitmus exams ,so what benefits I can get from my results?And also i want to know about certain this types of exams!
Could someone help me out?? How to determine the mechanical losses in a system