Change of field for MS in US

Hello everyone , I am Praneel studying B.E. in Automobile engineering 3rd year from Pune .I have been avid reader of crazy engineers and i wish to clear some of my doubts here regarding my MS education which i wish to be clear and sorted with by end of this semester so that I may possibly end up with ample of time for the preparation of the same . Thanks everyone in advance.
As I am completing my b tech in automobile is it possible for me to change my field to mechanical for MS . or simply can I pursue my MS in mechanical instead of automobiles ? .
I wish to take this discussion as I have observed I will get a broader scope for selection of my college ( which will also help me selecting them on basis of fees or scholarship) and can possibly select from the top universities in US for MS as the first best university for automobile is ranked 10th and second being in late 80's.

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Changing field is not much of an issue in the US, provided you meet their criteria.
  • praneel
    praneel
    What is usually the criteria for the same
    Also should I enroll for ms in mechanical before hand or after I land thereby securing admission in ms automobile ? Thanks in advance
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    You have to be admitted to MS before you leave. You cannot land in US and then start the admission process.
  • Harsh Kolhatkar
    Harsh Kolhatkar
    You can indeed change your field for MS in USA or rather any country. When you apply for the course they will tell you if you need any extra courses in order to get into a specific course( given that the course you are applying to is not from your stream) . First and foremost you will have to give GRE(entrance exam) and score good in order to get a good university. Admission process comes after you have a good score in your hand.
  • The Alchemist
    The Alchemist
    As discussed before changing field from Automobiles to Mechanical for your Masters should not be an issue. However, having relevant project work and courses in your resume would definitely help. While writing your Statement of Purpose for your college applications you can discuss these projects to demonstrate your interest in Mechanical Engineering. Good luck with your GRE preparations.
    Hope this helps .
  • Abhijeet Khandagale
    Abhijeet Khandagale
    The Alchemist
    As discussed before changing field from Automobiles to Mechanical for your Masters should not be an issue. However, having relevant project work and courses in your resume would definitely help. While writing your Statement of Purpose for your college applications you can discuss these projects to demonstrate your interest in Mechanical Engineering. Good luck with your GRE preparations.
    Hope this helps .
    Thanks for that! Maybe you should apply the signature and medn your profile ๐Ÿ˜

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I am using Ubuntu Mate operating system. When I am editing a text file in a text editor, sometimes a tab corresponds to two spaces, and sometimes it corresponds to...
Quote: Architecture website Architizer has just announced the winners of its 3rd annual A+ Awards, highlighting the best new building designs from around the world. This year's awards cover more...
I am Mohan , a crazy mechanical engineer working as a Regional service Manager in Apollo tyres. I found this forum very interesting and good place to gain and share...
It's been a while, since 1976, that Russia returned to the moon. The Luna-24 was the last Russian machine that landed on the moon. Russia did send probes to other...