Carnot Engine Problem

QUESTION
A Carnot Engine operating between 900 Fahrenheit and 90 Fahrenheit produces 40,000 ft-lb of work. Determine (a) the heat supplied, (b) the change in entropy during heat rejection and (c) the thermal efficiency of engine. (answers should be in BTU)

MY ATTEMPT
(a) 22.74 BTU
(c) 60%

Am i leading to correct answers

Replies

• yadavundertaker mohit
    yadavundertaker mohit
    Lindell
    QUESTION
    A Carnot Engine operating between 900 Fahrenheit and 90 Fahrenheit produces 40,000 ft-lb of work. Determine (a) the heat supplied, (b) the change in entropy during heat rejection and (c) the thermal efficiency of engine. (answers should be in BTU)

MY ATTEMPT
    (a) 22.74 BTU
    (c) 60%

Am i leading to correct answers

I don't know in BTU but i atleast can try it

T1=900 F
    T2=90F
    W=40,000 ft-lb

n=(T1-T2)/T1

(900-90)/900

=98.88%
  • antenna
    antenna
    Yadavundertaker, youhave use that formula(1-t1/t2) with t in kelvin.
    Use that,you would get the right ans.Any way the efficiency of a heat engine can reach 60% to 65% at max.
  • Lliño Del Rosario
    Lliño Del Rosario
    1 ft-lb = 9.478* 10^-4 BTU

(a) 22.74 BTU
    W=N QH
    =.60(40000 ft-lb * (9.478* 10^-4 BTU / 1 ft-lb)
    = 22.74 BTU

am i correct?
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    T1 = 755.222 K
    T2 = 305.222 K

1) Heat Supplied Qc = nRT1 ln(Vb/Va)
    ab is the initial Isothermal path.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

TechCrunch recently featured teen entrepreneurs on their popular tech blog. I guess its an interesting read. Check out : Ten Teen Entrepreneurs To Watch
T-Mobile Sidekick users have been facing a downtime since last one week. Apparently, the users have lost all their personal data [ calendar, contacts, photos, to-do lists ] stored on...
Here's a Goodbye Twitter Rap that's making round. Hah! [youtube]2tSOTQPUQoU[/youtube]
Let's face it. Ubuntu, KDE, OSX are all great - but they haven't been able to take over the desktops. Probably, the whole open source has began to set its...
Tech Entrepreneurs, here's an interesting article for you: Chile Wants Your Poor, Your Huddled Masses, Your Tech Entrepreneurs Its amazing the way Chile government is taking steps to ensure that...