Can SMS character limit be greater than 160?

I read this somewhere -

A mobile phone’s SMS capacity is only 140 bytes (8 bits constitute a byte). For sending an SMS in English we need just 7 bits per character. Therefore, the maximum characters that you can send in one SMS is 160 characters (140 bytes x 8 bits / 7 bits per character)
Electronics engineers - what's your take? Can we go beyond 160 character limit in SMSes?

[PS: Does this question make sense?]

Replies

• durga ch
    durga ch
    OK, more than saying SMS capacity I some how remotely recollect that SMS is not sent on the same communication channel as data/voice is sent, its rather sent in the same channel as the control signals are sent between the base-station and mobile device and I think its this capacity which decides the message length. I think that't also forms a reason why SMS are sometimes declared as ' free' , but in reality they are always free. Since signalling channel is not of much bandwidth, I believe above mentioned scenario appears.
    I might be wrong, and always open for corrections in my understanding though!
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    In Nokia 1208 Model
    the max sms character capacity is more than 700
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    umm,I tried to look at few sites which have 1208 specifications, its is a very basic mobile and one glossary specifically mentioned SMS as only 160 characters. i might not have looked everywhere to confirm 700 characters,I referred to #-Link-Snipped-# for 1208 specifications and it supports concatenated messages where the larger message is broken into tiner ones hence its the property of a specific mobile device rather than SMS as a service.default SMS is of 160 characters.

• Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    goyal420
    In Nokia 1208 Model
    the max sms character capacity is more than 700
    My best guess is, it must be considering a SMS of 700 character as a group of 5 SMS, and hence will charge you for 5 SMS (Though you had pressed Send button only once).

Please correct me, If I am wrong.

-CB
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    crazyboy
    My best guess is, it must be considering a SMS of 700 character as a group of 5 SMS, and hence will charge you for 5 SMS (Though you had pressed Send button only once).

Please correct me, If I am wrong.

-CB
    THis is absolutely correct!!!

For many mobiles we can enter more than 160 chars but we are charged accordingly.

Good info biggie 😀
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    I am correct. It Provides sms facility of 918 character..I have one piece of this mobile..
    and does not costs 5 rs for one sms of 918 character as My charges for sms is 1 rs in vodafone...
    I don't know why??You can't you get info about this
  • shreya_rulz
    shreya_rulz
    @goyal:i always send long messages and my balance gets deducted according to the length of the message..i use airtel..my messaging rate is 10p so when i send a message that has 185 characters (say) airtel will charge me 20p for the same as the first 160 characters are considered one sms and the remaining 25 are the second sms..so i'd suggest you get your messaging charges confirmed..try sending a really long message and let me know bout it.
    awaiting your response
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Yep, as durga said, SMS are limited to 160 characters to fit in existing signaling formats. Part of the GSM specification.

Though I believe a greater concern about SMS is security issues such as spoofing. The infrastructure is in need of an overhaul.

I think its about time that a new form of messaging takes form when 3G matures and 4G arrives. Perhaps switch to IM over IP?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

... and i am loving it!(OK I am late saying this..) I joined CE when I was looking for some help on my OFDM project. I was talking to my...
CEans, BITS Pilani Goa campus is organizing Quark 2010 between 4-6[sup]th[/sup] February 2010. Officeial Website: QUARK 2010 | Coming Soon | February 4th - 6th Updates to follow.
Hi frnds, i need an accelerometer for my final year project to measure floor vibration produced by human fall, the vibration will in range of 0.5 to 20 Hz. Suggest...
My college is holding a techfest I want to ask you people about 2 events Please give your valuable suggestions for the same 1) Treasure(Tech) Hunt Please help with the...
Hello, I wish to know if anyone knows how to create custom Google Chrome theme? Please post a tutorial here!