Can engineers be in bank jobs?

We always feel proud that India has a good pool of engineers passed out every year. Today the country requires quality engineers who can build strong foundations for the country. But these days, many of the engineers are shifting towards bank job. Is it a good scenario?

On the other hand, its all about how quickly we learn and adapt to the situation rather than the education qualification. An electrical engineer can become a software engineer. why cant to bank jobs?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Yeah, in fact a lot of engineers take up MBA which is quite different from engineering. I'm an electrical who's making a career with computers and Internet. I think engineer equips you with the 'attitude' to take up any challenge.
  • yorha 2b
    yorha 2b
    Heard that dialogue from 3 idiots ??
    "Pehle Engineering kiya, Fir MBA kiya aur ab US jaa key Bank mey Job kr raha hai"
    well, this was subliminal to Chetan Bhagat ... U might know, even before his books were published, he was pretty successful in his Bank-job.
    So, I think .. its possible 😀
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    A few of my compatriots were in banks to evaluate technical start up projects for technical competence, viability and such.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    The questions isn't 'can they?' The question is 'should they?'
    Will a bank job let an engineer be an engineer?
  • Prashanth_p@cchi
    Prashanth_p@cchi
    One thing is for sure, no one would have thought of doing engineering to end up in a bank. It is as equal as building your future for underemployment. Well, if you have done MBA after your engineering(which I would not prefer myself, or suggest anyone) then it makes some sense.

Coming to the main Question - Should they???. Well if you have done only your engineering, then NO.
    If you have a MBA, then MAY BE.
  • er.prit
    er.prit
    I personally don't think that it sounds good that after doing engineering, one is working in a bank. When we opted for engineering course then we must come out as a technocrats. We gather good skill and knowledge during the course of this study. We get familiar with technical aspects. Suppose an engineer is working in a bank he will then start dealing with account, financial matter,etc then at such condition he may lose his skills for which he has done engineering. Like this his all technical skill will just go into vain... and moreover, he will not be satisfied with his work.. With such attempts we are losing an engineer who can build the foundation for the country.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    I feel that there are areas in banking business, which need hard core engineering. Some of the schemes of the government involve financing small scale and tiny scale manufacturing projects in various engineering branches.The banks use engineering officers to audit and monitor these technically.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    BetterThanBefore
    Heard that dialogue from 3 idiots ??
    "Pehle Engineering kiya, Fir MBA kiya aur ab US jaa key Bank mey Job kr raha hai"
    well, this was subliminal to Chetan Bhagat ... U might know, even before his books were published, he was pretty successful in his Bank-job.
    So, I think .. its possible 😀
    well actually aamir khan spoke against it. what he was trying to say was if the guy was interested in a bank job, then why did he take up engineering at all in the first place ? he could have been much better off with a BBA degree.(instead of b.tech)
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    AbraKaDabra
    Will a bank job let an engineer be an engineer?
    what exactly do you mean by that ?
  • Prashanth_p@cchi
    Prashanth_p@cchi
    zaveri
    what exactly do you mean by that ?
    I think If you can answer "Who do you call, an Engineer?" then you can answer your own question.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    Prashanth_p@cchi
    I think If you can answer "Who do you call, an Engineer?" then you can answer your own question.

so i get it.
  • RISHABH LALA
    RISHABH LALA
    I think the major reason behind it is their lack of faith and interest in engineering which leads to poor quality engineering skills which ultimately leads to a safe land in Banking service !! So , no problem if they are going to Banking industry.
  • sweet_honey
    sweet_honey
    RISHABH LALA
    I think the major reason behind it is their lack of faith and interest in engineering
    not exactly the lack of faith and interest but may be the need to get secured government bank jobs...
  • aarthivg
    aarthivg
    sweet_honey
    not exactly the lack of faith and interest but may be the need to get secured government bank jobs...
    Adding one more thing, 9 to 5 timing.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    I talked with a bank person yesterday on this. They do use engineers to evaluate engineering in the small and tiny scale for funding. The evaluation part is strictly technical and the engineering skills are used. Larger projects are funded by funding agencies, which have their own engineering evaluators. In such cases the bank goes by their report for working capital and other funding in their purview.
    However, I do find competent other science people (physicists, biologists and others) getting into routine bank jobs. A pity.
  • sweet_honey
    sweet_honey
    aarthivg

and also as per my knowledge its the only sector that still provides pension.
    correct me if i am wrong.
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    40 % of my class mates are on Bank Jobs today and rest 20 are still preparing for it

I don't think there is any problem in taking up Bank Job for an engineer,

Because according to me Engineering not only about doing technical things it's about taking challenges and meet them with great success in every part of life , doesn't matter if it is bank job.
  • aarthivg
    aarthivg
    goyal420
    40 % of my class mates are on Bank Jobs today and rest 20 are still preparing for it

I don't think there is any problem in taking up Bank Job for an engineer,

Because according to me Engineering not only about doing technical things it's about taking challenges and meet them with great success in every part of life , doesn't matter if it is bank job.
    If they are going to Bank job, What is the need for 4 year's of engineering?
  • Prashanth_p@cchi
    Prashanth_p@cchi
    goyal420
    I get two things from the above statements. Can you please tell me which one do you exactly mean???
    1. Bank job doesn't make you a complete engineer. But you are satisfied with it (Going by the 2nd underlined statement).
    2. Surely Bank job is technical along with the challenging stuff(Going by both the underlined statements).
  • Prashanth_p@cchi
    Prashanth_p@cchi
    RISHABH LALA
    I think the major reason behind it is their lack of faith and interest in engineering which leads to poor quality engineering skills which ultimately leads to a safe land in Banking service !! So , no problem if they are going to Banking industry.
    sweet_honey
    aarthivg
    All three are reasonable!!!! 😛
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    aarthivg
    If they are going to Bank job, What is the need for 4 year's of engineering?
    Before I answer, Can you explain me How will you define engineering, what is wrong if people spent 4 years in engineering and ultimately goes to Bank?
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    Prashanth_p@cchi
    I get two things from the above statements. Can you please tell me which one do you exactly mean???
    1. Bank job doesn't make you a complete engineer. But you are satisfied with it (Going by the 2nd underlined statement).
    2. Surely Bank job is technical along with the challenging stuff(Going by both the underlined statements).
    I was just meant, I don't think there is any problem for an Engineer to go with Bank Jobs

Engineering is just meant education for me, nothing else

Rest it all depends upon the interest of individual which path he wanna follow
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    aarthivg
    We always feel proud that India has a good pool of engineers passed out every year. Today the country requires quality engineers who can build strong foundations for the country. But these days, many of the engineers are shifting towards bank job. Is it a good scenario?

On the other hand, its all about how quickly we learn and adapt to the situation rather than the education qualification. An electrical engineer can become a software engineer. why cant to bank jobs?
    Thats again asking the same old basic question, do a student think for a bit or choose his engineering branch with interest or with pressure or just following the trend.

If by any chance answer is by own wish -then there is no way he ahould go for bank or software field. He / she should stuck to their base subject field

- CB
  • Lalit77
    Lalit77
    If anyone feels that he'll be not secure in manufacturing fields then he can opt for banking jobs as they are supposed to be secure jobs.But opting for bank jobs is mere adjustment or compramise your interest with fianance.A true engineer will never opt for this.As there is nothing new in doing routine work.
  • graphite
    graphite
    Opting for a bank job is totally the his/her decision.
    In banking sectors there are openings for software and technical support. In fact an engineer gets posted in their technical department.
    We attended a seminar on jobs for engineers in banks. There are various posts for engineers in banks. One can be a manager on technical department in bank.
  • Engg.Dee
    Engg.Dee
    what personally i think that success doent belongs to ur area of work, job or working environment, its simply means that where u find urself after 4-5 years after entered into any type of job or employment. whether you grown up or let down. if someone couldnt get good job in its initial area of interest and switch to other area nd got succeed so what's the problem in that. after all engineers are made to face changes and challenges .

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Name: Rafie Redzwan Mechanical Engineering Location: Malaysia Occupation: Student Work Experience: QA/QC in Steel Structure Aim in life: Expertise in Nuclear Technology I joined CrazyEngineers because: I wanted to improve...
This topic, is going to show of your worry for experienced graduates. There has been a huge hikes in the salaries to the freshers. A two year's experienced graduates have...
Hey everybody. Can anybody give me some ideas what i should do for my final project? The theme is we need to invent something useful for the community.. Please give...
Michel Morganella is no longer playing soccer in London Olympics. The player has accused South Korean players on twitter after Switzerland lost to the South Korea by 2-1. The tweets...
Winning a medal in Olympics is a great deal! But now the win comes in a package deal. Be the first one to get an Olympic medal for India and...