BSNL Injecting Advertisements In Your Browser

I was shocked to find out an advertisement pop-up on a web-page I'd never expect to find an advertisement on; and I began wondering if there's anything wrong with my machine. Did any nasty virus break into my system? That was highly unlikely because I keep my machine inert to most attacks. I then discovered that it's nasty BSNL that's injecting advertisements directly into your browser at random. I inspected the code responsible for the advertisements: -

The IP addresses resolve to BSNL owned servers and it's a clear indication that BSNL's just being nasty. The only solution to the problem, as it seems is that you need to block the IP locally using your router or hosts file. But that's a temporary solution because BSNL can quickly change their IP and the ads will start showing up again.

I think it's highly unethical of BSNL to inject ads in the browsers of paying customers. Have you noticed unusual advertisements in the bottom-right corner of your browser?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Just in case anyone is confused, here's how the advertisement looks -

BSNL-Injecting-Ads
    I reported the matter to BSNL officer and the telecom minister; and was surprised to see his response so quick!

Will keep posting updates on the issue.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Normally you'd get these if:
    - You've installed some browser extension
    - You're infected by adware
    - You are accessing through their "free" WiFi Hotspot

But to have your traffic intercepted and ad injected over a paid connection is going a bit too far. Did you get any feedback from this?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Not yet; just want more people report the same thing. The problem is - many people think that it's the website that's inserting the ads.
  • H K Prakash
    H K Prakash
    Please post the ip adresses you find that bsnl is using and block them. For eg I have 117.239.236.100 61.0.245.90 and 61.0.234.194
    I reported their ads to BSNL B'lore and also protested that I pay R 1779/ m for my fiber conn and expect some privacy! I got an email response that they are stopping but hasnt stopped. Also a sweet female voice said the same thing and the ads continue
    NO point in complaining to these $%^&*. My prob is I only hv BSNL fiber in my area. Intend to switch as soon as competitor like ACT appears!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Perhaps twitter is more effective medium:

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Lava's latest smartphone is for those who are on a budget. The Lava A59 has just arrived in the market with an official price tag of Rs. 4199. Featuring Android...
All those who took the exam today, please let us know how it went. What parts were difficult and which ones were easy? What is your expected score?
A lot of people are sending me direct messages asking what the IES ESE examination timings are. The official notification clearly states that: CANDIDATES ADMITTED TO THE EXAMINATION WILL BE...
After graduating as a mechanical engineer from University of Michigan, Vivek Pahwa completed his MBA in Finance and Marketing from ISB. In 2006, Vivek created his first venture 'DesiMartini.com' which...
I want to get summer internship in southern railways tell me a way to get it.