Basic electronics question powering a CR2025 remote with 2xAA

Hi fellow engineers and tech-heads ๐Ÿ˜€

I recently got a remote for my digital camera due to the great number of repetitive shots I am taking with it, to be frank I was becoming concerned that I'd wear out the shutter button on the camera itself, that's somewhat besides the point... but true.

The only remote for my camera I could find (Samsung UK appear not to make or supply any remote units for their digital cameras at all!) is this unit:
https://jjc.cc/products/rme9.htm
It is the RM-E9 unit by JJC Technology Co. Ltd.

It works, sends the right signal to the camera and allows a picture to be taken at a distance.

The problem is: the powersource, a slim 3V Lithium Cell, CR2025.

Due to the number of shots I know I'll be firing with this remote I want to modify the unit to be powered by 2xAA, batteries each AA is 1.5V rated so this should give the equivalent voltage right?

The reason is economy and capacity and environmental intelligence I guess. I want to be having to change batteries as little as possible and not to have to buy 360+ (!!!) CR2025 batteries a year.

Now you understand the situation and my aims, I'm wondering if you'd know of a way to carry this out so I don't fry the remote due to the larger potential current which can be generated by the AA cells?

The documentation that comes with the device and the spec. on the reverse of the unit mention only this about power requirements:
batt. supply: 3V

I know it is not simply a case of equating the voltages as when measured with an admittedly cheap multimeter the CR2025 had a max current output of around 0.14 Amps where the AA cell had 10 times this, or something along these lines. I remember there being a factor of at least 10.

For those reading this in countries where AA is not the std. name for this size or format of battery cell, then note:
"AA battery is a dry cell-type battery commonly used in portable electronic devices. An AA battery is composed of a single electrochemical cell.

The AA battery type was standardized by ANSI in 1947, and is designated E91 by DIN and,
AM3 by JIS

Internationally the IEC designated it as:
LR6 (alkaline),
R6 (carbon-zinc),
KR157/51 (nickel-cadmium),
HR6 (nickel-metal-hydride), and,
FR6 (lithium-iron-disulfide).
Other names include:
MN1500 and,
HP7

In China it is known as:
#5 battery

In Germany it is known colloquially as:
Mignon"

Thank for any advice pointers :smile:

Replies

• Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    hey CptWrench! welcome to CE.

No problem, you can use two 1.5V AA batteries in series. Current discharge depends on the load.. so the remote control will only draw out as much as it needs. When you measured the output amperage with the multimeter, I presumed you measured the short circuit output.. which relates to the maximum current draw.

Happy snapping!
  • CptWrench
    CptWrench
    ash
    hey CptWrench! welcome to CE.

No problem, you can use two 1.5V AA batteries in series. Current discharge depends on the load.. so the remote control will only draw out as much as it needs. When you measured the output amperage with the multimeter, I presumed you measured the short circuit output.. which relates to the maximum current draw.

Happy snapping!
    Ash, thank you for the welcome ๐Ÿ˜€

This is what I understood would be the case, but a friend of mine said that due to it being a product with such a low margin for manufacture that the 100 or so milliamp max output of the battery may be a presumed behaviour of the circuit and so there would be no protection for a key chip or something on the cicuit that may get fried when you connect the 1AMP capable AA battery supply.

Any thoughts?
  • Rifaa
    Rifaa
    Ash is right my friend, what ever the capacity of battery u use the current draw will be determined by the load, in your cause the remote. Even if you use 10AH battery still the current draw will be that of a CR2025 cell.
    As long as you does not short circuit the remote you will be fine.
    one more thing is remotes are designed in such a way that a CR2025 cell will last almost a year, so I guess buying a cell is worth the hassle you get through will 2 huge cells.
    Anyways it's your call ๐Ÿ˜Ž
    Good luck
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    CptWrench
    Ash, thank you for the welcome ๐Ÿ˜€

This is what I understood would be the case, but a friend of mine said that due to it being a product with such a low margin for manufacture that the 100 or so milliamp max output of the battery may be a presumed behaviour of the circuit and so there would be no protection for a key chip or something on the cicuit that may get fried when you connect the 1AMP capable AA battery supply.

Any thoughts?
    Yeah, your friend does have a point about chip protection. But chip tolerances are usually based on voltages rather than current. In addition, when it comes to LEDs.. such as the infrared ones in the remote, a small change of voltage is most likely to produce an exponential change in current. Thus, highlighting the focus on voltage. In a lot of cases, devices are designed with a constant voltage source in mind. Thus components used are ones that are rated to operate on that voltage. (gosh, I wish there was a synonym for that word ๐Ÿ˜› )

As rifaa said, you'll be fine as long as you dont short the circuit ๐Ÿ˜€

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi... Friends.... My name is Megha.I m from Gulbarga-Karnataka-India. I m studying in 8th sem in Electronics & Intrumentation branch. I fell very happy to be a part of CE.
Hi,friends... I m not getting about subscription & unsubscription of threats.What are it's advantages & disadvantages.Can anybody tell me about this?
CEans, I received following email and would like to alert you about the phishing scam. DO NOT REPLY TO SUCH EMAILS! (See Below) โ€‹ Such emails are sent to the...
I am in my 1st year BE under Computer Science stream. I am crazy about programming and animation. I know that I am good at it to some extent. When...
hello CEans, I have a pair of 1200W speakers and 2500W speakers, can I connect these speakers in parallel. Will it harm my amplifier or speakers? Is this a good...