Backing Up Entire System & Restoring.

Usually I just
tar cvpzf backup.tgz --exclude=/lost+found --exclude=/backup.tgz --exclude=/mnt /
then I just copy backup tar in my other drive or external drive.

Re-install bare Arch and
tar xvpfz backup.tgz -C /
and everything is restored!

But my query is, Is there any way to skip installing bare system always and restore my system ?
I want to backup my arch like we backup Android from CWM or TWRP.
Is it possible ? If yes, then how ?

Plus, how can I backup my system to my raspberry pi connected in same network ?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Are you talking about incremental backup solution? If yes, search for 'incremental backup linux' and you'd find a ton of software that lets you do that. I've not used any yet. I backup all the important files to Amazon.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Nah not incremental.
    Like I said, I used to do incremental backup as shown above.
    What I really want is backup of my current system in an iso or tar. So, if I want to change HDD, I can just restore in new HDD without reinstalling bare arch.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Hi Abhishek, what you need is to do an image backup. Try checking out Clonezilla. As for backing up from Raspi, it may be possible using Clonezilla SE (Server Edition) to remote backup and restore across the network.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

In the company's own words, a two year odyssey has brought a new borderless smartphone to ZTE Corporation. Called the ZTE Nubia Z9, here's a new Android 5.0 Lollipop OS...
Quote: At BIOMEDevice Boston on May 6, Segway inventor and veteran medical device inventor Dean Kamen had some words of wisdom for engineers—gained from his experience developing an array of...
Quote: Guitar maintenance can be a frustrating and expensive business. This instructable aims to help with that. If I missed something you think should be included, let me know; likewise,...
Pioneer India has announced the launch of its new car entertainment headunit with model number AVIC-F970BT. The company has a range of car infotainment products including speakers, subwoofers, amplifiers, head...
Finally, the rumours of AppleBot - Apple's Web Crawler have come true. Earlier this year in February, we spotted a job opening on Apple's careers microsite that hinted at Apple...