Automatic irrigation system

I am planing to do the project for my final year on auto irrigation and crop management i need to use more than six sensors and display etc which micro controller is suitable for my project.
Its also in ieee can any one help me in this
"A Wireless Design of Low-Cost Irrigation System Using ZigBee Technology" :smile:

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    annamalai03
    I am planing to do the project for my final year on auto irrigation and crop management i need to use more than six sensors and display etc which micro controller is suitable for my project.
    Its also in ieee can any one help me in this
    "A Wireless Design of Low-Cost Irrigation System Using ZigBee Technology" :smile:
    I'm sure all engineers would love to help you - if you ask specific questions.
  • annamalai03
    annamalai03
    Could any one help me in choosing correct micro controller and any other important things to be considered to implement it :smile:
  • Voltaire
    Voltaire
    Okay; but we need to start at the beginning since it appears that your course did not cover the fundamentals:
    1. First of all you need to state your objective: what do you want to achieve. Auto-irrigation and crop management.
    2. Define those: auto irrigation is..... Crop managemet is....
    3. Do a concept design. This includes a simple process flow diagram (PFD) that shows all your control points, instrumentation, control devices and schematic logic. Also indicate which is field mounted and which is panel mounted
    4. Using the PFD draw up a P&ID (piping and instrumentation diagram). Take these to the client for his input and approval
    5. Complete your HAZOP study. The hazard and operability study, which you conduct with engineers from all the other disciplines present, will highlight issues that would cause your design to fail (sometimes catastrophically) and that you would need to change. Include the client to get his input and to make sure that a) you meet his budget and b) you meet his expectations
    6. Keep a list of the HAZOP items and make sure that you have signed them off
    7. Re-draw the PFD and P&ID so that you can take those for either detail drawing or construction (rural irrigation does not require the same rigor as e.g. an oil refinery)
    8. Using the P&ID drawings you can count the IOs and determine if you need a DCS or whether you can use a simple PLC
    9. Draw up the specification sheets. In these you state a) what you require e.g. a pressure transducer b) what type e.g. piezo c) what range e.g. 0 - 100 kPa d) IP rating e.g. 68 for submersed e) materials of construction or exclusions e.g. if you have high chlorides then you exclude SS316 or you can simply specify PTFE or other suitable material
    10. Got to Busybee and ask them if they have what you need. If they don't then you start from (4). Use your discretion because you don't want endless HAZOPs every other week
    11. Get quotes
    12. Sign the procurement contract after you have secured the funds. Make sure the quote is fixed and firm and that the items are in stock. Make sure installation and start-up assistance is part of the contract. You don't want to battle with faulty equipment
    13. Buy the stuff and have it delivered
    14. Plan the shut-down, schedule it and install
    15. Commission

Remember: when you ask a question on the forum, etc. is not a valid question. I don't know what etc. means. The short answer would be: do the stuff etc. You can imagine; if your professor asks you for the partial derivative of a function and you respond with something something etc. He will (hopefully) tell you to look for your marks under a rock in the garden etc.
  • annamalai03
    annamalai03
    Thank you for your valuable reply
  • bill190
    bill190
    The easiest microcontroller to program is the Parallax Basic Stamp. Excellent documentation and help via their forums. More difficult to program, but with 8 processors in one chip is the Parallax Propeller microcontroller. But again excellent documentation and support/help from their forum.

Here is their web site...
    (Click on forums to ask questions.)
    Parallax Inc | Equip Your Genius®
  • annamalai03
    annamalai03
    Thank you for your reply bill190
  • annamalai03
    annamalai03
    I need this ieee paper where can i get this free.
    "A Wireless Design of Low-Cost Irrigation System Using ZigBee Technology"
    Could any one help me
  • shreyasm89
    shreyasm89
    Voltaire
    Okay; but we need to start at the beginning since it appears that your course did not cover the fundamentals:
    1. First of all you need to state your objective: what do you want to achieve. Auto-irrigation and crop management.
    2. Define those: auto irrigation is..... Crop managemet is....
    3. Do a concept design. This includes a simple process flow diagram (PFD) that shows all your control points, instrumentation, control devices and schematic logic. Also indicate which is field mounted and which is panel mounted
    4. Using the PFD draw up a P&ID (piping and instrumentation diagram). Take these to the client for his input and approval
    5. Complete your HAZOP study. The hazard and operability study, which you conduct with engineers from all the other disciplines present, will highlight issues that would cause your design to fail (sometimes catastrophically) and that you would need to change. Include the client to get his input and to make sure that a) you meet his budget and b) you meet his expectations
    6. Keep a list of the HAZOP items and make sure that you have signed them off
    7. Re-draw the PFD and P&ID so that you can take those for either detail drawing or construction (rural irrigation does not require the same rigor as e.g. an oil refinery)
    8. Using the P&ID drawings you can count the IOs and determine if you need a DCS or whether you can use a simple PLC
    9. Draw up the specification sheets. In these you state a) what you require e.g. a pressure transducer b) what type e.g. piezo c) what range e.g. 0 - 100 kPa d) IP rating e.g. 68 for submersed e) materials of construction or exclusions e.g. if you have high chlorides then you exclude SS316 or you can simply specify PTFE or other suitable material
    10. Got to Busybee and ask them if they have what you need. If they don't then you start from (4). Use your discretion because you don't want endless HAZOPs every other week
    11. Get quotes
    12. Sign the procurement contract after you have secured the funds. Make sure the quote is fixed and firm and that the items are in stock. Make sure installation and start-up assistance is part of the contract. You don't want to battle with faulty equipment
    13. Buy the stuff and have it delivered
    14. Plan the shut-down, schedule it and install
    15. Commission

Remember: when you ask a question on the forum, etc. is not a valid question. I don't know what etc. means. The short answer would be: do the stuff etc. You can imagine; if your professor asks you for the partial derivative of a function and you respond with something something etc. He will (hopefully) tell you to look for your marks under a rock in the garden etc.
    great way to plan a project
  • Wuebbs007
    Wuebbs007
    SLC 5/04 or a 5561 SLC micro prossesor

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello friends....Material for GATE and Technical Job Exams prepared by IIT alumni is available at www(dot)btechguru.com
NPTEL Video and Web Courses (for all engineering branches) prepared by professors from IITs and IISc are available on this website:National Programme on Technology Enhanced Learning(NPTel) Home.
We are two CCNA certified engineers with a telecom company and want to upgrade CCNP and CCVP. We have heard about Boot camps that they are helpful in saving time...
If you are a PayPal user located in India, you will no longer be able to use electronic fund transfer facility to withdraw your funds in your PayPal account. This...
for the mba banking and finance course in Sikkim manipal university, will the study material be provided by the university and what’s the mode of exams and studies.