Assembly Program for interfacing Printer Port

Haii.. hello to all, I found this forum very useful and informative~
Now that I'm an aspiring Computer Engineer soon, My Prof decided to gave us some cool projects like Interfacing Printer Port with Assembly Language.

Ive read about many topics about how to interface a printer port, but soon enough I'm having a hard time building a 'working' program by using an Assembly language ๐Ÿ˜”

My device that I need to interface with a printer port is a 7-segment display (cathode) and it looks like Ive done assembling the device. But silly enough to think how to start with the assembly program @__@

She told me to use some sort of debug programs (I think) like IDE, tasm and tlink to work with the program.. but I dont know how to use them. Hope you can help me with this Assembly Program since Im a very new in this kind of field. Like some sort of Tips or Examples (a working program is fine too ๐Ÿ˜) of a program is welcome.

~ Thanks

Replies

• shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    Hi iRawr,

Yes we can help you in ASSEMBLY PROGRAM but do you know "Assembly language" because as far as I know it has very limited functions. Will you be able to do in Assembly?

Have you tried anything till now?

Please answer ๐Ÿ˜€

Thanks
    Shalini
  • iRawr
    iRawr
    yes I already tried some assembly language basic functions and DOS functions..
    well um I mean basic like mov ah,01 dl,al syntax int 21h int20 stuff which I barely read in a book what does it do.

but when I try to apply it for making an ideal and working program for my interfacing, I went nuts just how to start the program itself @_@

The Project says that when I input a letter in a keyboard, it will be outputted to the 7-segment display, um like pressing a letter A then showing it to the display ๐Ÿ˜•

some sort of mov ah,01 I think.. a keyboard input
    but dunno how to make the data move to the printerport then make the LEDs on 7-segment light o____o
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    ok now I got what exactly you were asking ๐Ÿ˜€

Don't worry , we are here to help you. ๐Ÿ˜€

Just keep me reminding about it daily ok. I think it is not a big problem. I will find some time to look into it.OK
  • iRawr
    iRawr
    kay.. thanks for the concern ๐Ÿ˜

I tried something like this but dunno if it will work.

MOV AH,08
    MOV AL,DL

INT 21H

MOV DX,0378H

OUT DX,AL

INT 21H
    INT 20
    but dunno if this program will be able to display letters to a 7-segment .___.
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    First of all, which processor or microcontroller are you using for this project? The assembly code you have given here is for which processor?

Tell me that and then I might be able to help you!!
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    All assembly programs are dependent on the microcontroller or/and microprocessor used. Same program may not work on two different models.
  • scurrminator
    scurrminator
    #-Link-Snipped-#

its there in this link

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I need to assemble a lifting device,X shaped,each arm of the 'X' (one of four arms) 1 met long,or it's multiple. A drum shaped load,1000 kgs or it's multiple is...
Hiiii, In a Direct Sequence Spread Spectrum system which one have stronger effect on the transmitted signal - rayleigh fading, rician fading or gaussian noise? Thank you...
How to add Atinav jar file .from where to download the Atinav jar file?
hi friends, I need a source where we can find the latest updates of technologies related to automobile engg...send me if u have an idea.
I'm Yazmin , new to this site, nice to join here........................