Ask questions to Mr. William Baker - Chief Structural Engineer of Burj Dubai!

CEans,

This is your once in lifetime opportunity! Mr. William Baker, Chief Structural Engineer of Burj Dubai - World's Tallest Building has agreed to answer your questions! ๐Ÿ˜

Now, we have a strict deadline - Monday, EOD [September 8, 2008]. Post your questions for Mr. Baker in this thread and we'll pick up the top questions and include them in our questionnaire! ๐Ÿ˜

...and I hope you don't want to miss this opportunity. Am I right?

Replies

• Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Wow, thats really great news!!

Lets prepare some good questions, CEans! We got a deadline coming!
  • Mayur Pathak
    Mayur Pathak
    Wow... this is great. Here is my first question.

What precaution did you take while designing the structure and the concrete that had to withstand such tonnes of weight and extremely high temperatures?
  • Mayank
    Mayank
    Hi,

Heres another [set of] question.....

Yesterday itself there was again a news on TV praising the height Burj has reached and is still increasing. People are estimating it to go somewhere near 900 mtrs. Yet no official figure has been announced from your side.
    1. What is the thumb rule that you folllowed to construct the base of the builing which can support and bear the load of such a giagantic structure. Is it like the iceberg, that what we see is just its tip above the sea level?
    2. After considering the other competitive projects going around the world and specially the one recently started in Dubai, what do you think how long Burj can remain the tallest of all after its completion?

-Mayank Shukla
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Woo hoo!

Great questions! ๐Ÿ˜ Keep them coming ! ๐Ÿ˜
  • Mayur Pathak
    Mayur Pathak
    Some more,

2. The structure is designed analogous to an ice berg. What was the main purpose? Is it to distribute load evenly? Or is it for minimalistic effect from wind loads? Or any thing else?

3. Can you take us inside the girdles, rods and beams of the Burj Dubai? How are you ensuring maximum space be available inside the structure without compromising the strength and durability?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    For the uninitiated, here's how Burj Dubai looks like -

[โ€‹IMG]

Image Courtesy: Skidmore, Owings & Merrill

Now, you'd want to ask questions. Huh?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    ...and here's a video who don't believe in photos -

Watch the video, its worth. [By Discovery Channel]

[youtube]xJwLXJPkkIg[/youtube]
  • jaikjoel
    jaikjoel
    Every construction of this scale is faced with very unique challenges. What are the major challenges in this particular project?
  • just2rock
    just2rock
    Here's Mine
    Sir,
    The more taller the more eagles eyes...mean to say more precautions to take for anti teroorism moves...so what you & your team is planning for in terms of high end security for Burj Dubai (CCTV servillence systems etc)
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    CEans,

We have almost about 20 more hours to collect the questions. Drop in your questions. Hurry up!
  • xheavenlyx
    xheavenlyx
    Biggie, thanks for the video and image. Its very informative for all of us here.

Here are my Q's:

1. How did the company simulate (3D CAD, scale model, wind tunnel) the design before actually finalizing it?

2. How is the architectural design work distributed within the company? The HVAC, electrical, mechanical, interior designing? Specially for a project that has never be done before!

3. When and how did you get interested in Architecture? And what design or event was the turning point of your career.
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    The questions that I wanted to ask have already been asked. But still, it is exciting that we have such knowledgeable persons holding important positions answer our queries.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    [Update]

We'll stop accepting questions after exactly 6 hours from now. If you want to post your question, now is the time!
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Ah, good questions so far!

Q. The top floor is only 8 meters wide, and is already sold. What options does the buyer have with this space?

Q. There are rumors that there will be another big project located in Dubai that will surpass the height of even Burj Dubai. Is this true?

Q. What will be the next project for you and your team?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Here's Microsoft's latest, expensive ad - [youtube]tM_72QXCtN4[/youtube] ๐Ÿ˜• Makes sense? I don't think so.
Every aspiring entrepreneur - Here's Guy Kawasaki for you. Note: Do check out our Small Talk with Mr. Kawasaki -> Small Talk with Guy Kawasaki - How to change the...
hi everyone i need to generate 3 pulses.pulses namely A,B,C are user programmable. first of all A pulse is generated then B and finally C.but the problem coming is reference...
can somebody send me any information regarding these type of sensors
peace of advise: to all mechanical engineering students who would like to have a project, think of a simple one. 1. Know your strong point... which field you are in...