Are you prepared for the new Groups + Discussions merger?

By now, you may already know that we are in the process of merging "Discussions" and "Groups". I'm happy to report that the code is currently being tested and there are several interesting features the new app will have. I'd like to mention the top ones -

1. Custom Feed: 

Until now, whether you liked it or not; the "Latest Discussions" would list every topic / question posted by users. We've changed that in the new app.

Now, you can "join" the groups of your choice and only get posts from those groups in your feed. That is, if you are interested in Java Programming, you will only have the questions / discussions from Java Programming group in your feed. You may of course join multiple groups to customize your feed accordingly. 

2. Global Feed: 

Of course, there will be global feed as well; which will list all the new discussions posted across various groups. In case you want to know what's going on in other groups; you are just a click away. 

3. Create Your Own Group:

This facility has been developed; but will be rolled out after a few days. You will be the founder of the group and will be able to build your group the way you want. You may appoint moderators for your group and keep track of who joins your group.

4. Private and Secret Groups

Of course, all the illuminati ? will be able to create their secret and private groups. More about this; later! 

What happens to the old discussions?

We're preserving them and try our best to fit them in our new groups. We'll seek your help in organizing old content into groups. 

We haven't forgotten ability to "report spam". Yes, it's coming in the new app! 

Tagging #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# 

Replies

• Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew

Looks like a lot of initiatives are in store on the CE Bandwagon. In case of Group Discussions/ Any Discussion as a matter of fact, it would be great if the posts can be voted by members of group as found to be useful (or any other metric) so that Google/ Other Searches can identify best responses from CE and bump those up as search results for folks outside CE (Hinting at Quora Model).

As an UI element, would be great to see some subtle colors added to each sections to sort of break the monotonousness.

#Still.trying.to.understand.this.new.platform

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

Yes, point noted. 

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

Suppose a post put up in general category also has a special group relevance (happens often) can the poster have an option to classify it under two categories so that people that look mostly at their own groups will get to see it?

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

A classic example of a post belonging to multiple groups would be - "Which programming language should I choose for my next project: Java or PHP?"

Now this could go into Java Group or PHP group - or perhaps a "General Programming" group. 

After studying several communities and trends; it looks like 'groups' are more favoured by most users - where they decide what goes into which group. Our current system requires choosing the most relevant group for the discussion. 

We believe that the most active participants will choose the groups they want to contribute to (in above example, both Java and PHP) - and the above question will appear in their personal feed - so that they notice it and respond to it. 

It's one of the ways to keep the personal feeds clean and relevant to what the user is interested in. The global feed will always be just a click away that will allow members to see what's going on in other 'public' groups. 

• Ansio Grocery
    Ansio Grocery

Thanks for sharing the information.

• Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ

Good luck with the merger ? 

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Machine Design says: Senior Technology Editor Bill Wong made the trip to the Intel International Science and Engineering Fair in Phoenix, which attracted over 1,800 top students, and came away...
I need help with a project at university, I would really appreciate if anybody could help me, it is about simplifying maxterms and minterms.I simplified the minterms and the final...
I've done my engineering in EC and have completed my BTC in 2018. I've cleared TET and Super tet in Uttar Pradesh.  I just want to know whether can i...
EEE vs ECE vs EIE which one is best for placements 
hi everyonecan someone help me with this 2 question of materials?1) What technology does NOT allow to produce an aluminum tube of 100 mm in length and 40 mm of...