Are the desktops dying?

Let's face it. Ubuntu, KDE, OSX are all great - but they haven't been able to take over the desktops. Probably, the whole open source has began to set its focus on the mobile where all the future lies.

With the growing power of tiny processors, the smart phones are capable of doing almost everything your desktop did - and the improvements are astonishing.

Everything is rapidly shifting to mobiles - and I believe there will be a day we won't need desktops.

Do you agree?

Replies

• Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    case in point, one of my friend's buddy lives in germany..he gets Mbps speeds on his mobile!! can you beat that..

I believe the future is with small devices, (maybe wearable devices) which would have a plethora of connectivity options. So desktops and maybe even laptops could become relics of the past
  • Amit kumar Gupta
    Amit kumar Gupta
    as in india.. the laptops in real sense are replacing desktop pcs' may be in near future we wont find these large traditional desktop PCs'.
  • gaurav.bhorkar
    gaurav.bhorkar
    In my opinion desktops cannot die. The desktop is more powerful than laptops in terms of speed, power, graphics capability, etc.
    There are desktop replacement laptops but they have many disadvantages, like less battery backup, very less options for upgrades, heating problems, low end graphics, etc.
    In a desktop everything is standardized, you can upgrade the components as you want.
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    yes, I agree.

There are so many mobiles which works perfectly as your desktop PCs..!

Then what is the need to have desktops, which are difficult to transport and not able to carry with us.

May be in future, as maddy said, every thing will be with smaller and simpler ones.
  • Mahesh Dahale
    Mahesh Dahale
    desktops cannot die.
    bleeding-edge technology is almost always only available for desktops at first

Laptops are typically more expensive than their desktop counterparts and it seems this will always be the case

The desktop is more powerful
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    as processors become smaller and more powerful, the role of the desktops will be limited..They may not become extinct, but the average user won't use them anymore..
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Personally I am not using Desktop since last 1.5 years. Its all laptops @ home or Office. Also, I think these notebooks made my life real easy. 😀

Also the windows mobile (HTC) makes me enable to check my e-mails, search contents aat any corener during the day.

-CB
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    I think the discsussion here must be between the desktops and mobiles...

Am I right.?

According to the convenience, mobile Pcs plays dominent role compared to desktops.

But I think organisations and companies must need desktops for their better purpose.
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    Yeah, what pallavi said makes sense (companies will continue to use desktops)..but some companies are shunning this trend.. they give their employees an allowance to buy laptops.. the employee gets to take the laptop home..

For security reasons, all the confidential work is stored only on the company servers..this relieves the company the head ache of buying computers, maintaining them, etc..
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    I'd agree that the traditional role and form of the desktop is dying, but the abstract definition of it would not.. depending on the trend of centralized and decentralized computing.

What we see on the trend of "desktops" is the convergence of media into one location. Whether it is TV's being embedded with computer hardware, or computers embedded with advanced TV decoders, there will still be at least one computer device or entity which remains stationary at home. On this device, you will be able to perform the traditional roles of the desktop (internet, office, gaming) with the addition of TV, house control, and other things. These desktops might be hidden in the household environment, and all one sees is the external I/O peripherals.

Indeed, mobiles in the near future will be as powerful as desktops today. However, since its is meant to be portable, its size restriction would limit its functionality (or even, its functionality limits its size!).

As mahesh has said, desktop performances will always outperform smaller devices. If chip manufacturers can design a small powerful chip that can fit into a mobile, they'd probably have a lot more headroom to fit a larger more powerful chip in a larger form size.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    I second it.

Moreover In many offices in India they still use Desktops.

Since 3 years I am using desktop 😀

No over heating !!!
  • shashank734
    shashank734
    Ithink desktops never die you can't make laptop a storage server or any server cause they have many pantabite storages that's not possible in the laptops.

servers genrates much heat and laptops can't solve them.

and many reasons that we can easily add or remove hadware from desktops but we can't do it similer with laptops.

ya in the future desktops become more small but exists.
  • safwan
    safwan
    I just read on one gulf IT magazine says that 70% of computer in the kingdom are Laptops .

so yes for for Kingdom of Saudi Arabia Desktops are dying.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Great to hear this!!!

But is there any information related to the servers ??
  • nandu070691
    nandu070691
    In my opinion, presently a desktop is more efficient than the laptop of same cost. For example, in last weeks, 1 of my friend bought a laptop of about 35000. But according to him, his desktop (bought 2 months before and almost of same price) is more faster and reliable. But due to fast developments, situation may be changed in near future.
  • abbasdjinn
    abbasdjinn
    just looked at the disscussion over here and really it made me dumbstruck
    bcause i have just purchased a new HCL desktop..😒
    In my opinion desktops can never die..!
    i was using a VAio machine from the past 3 years but was not satisfied at all just because of performance reasons and specially when it comes to AMD processors!!
    now i 'am quite happy with my new PC..!!
  • callyD
    callyD
    In my opinion while laptops have their advantages, they're really not a suitable replacement for a desktop. if you are a gamer, laptop just don't deliver the power to game. More effort needs to be put into the video card on laptops.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Tech Entrepreneurs, here's an interesting article for you: Chile Wants Your Poor, Your Huddled Masses, Your Tech Entrepreneurs Its amazing the way Chile government is taking steps to ensure that...
The annual Engineers Australia Northern Engineering Conference will be held in Mackay 5th to 7th November 2009. The aim of the conference is to provide an environment for Engineers and...
Official Website: Society for Sustainability and Environmental Engineering Conference November 2009 About - This International Conference hosted by the Society for Sustainability and Environmental Engineering (SSEE), Engineers Australia, will be...
Official Website: 24 th Indian Engineering Congress - Home The 24th Indian Engineering Congress will be held at Surathkal, Mangalore during December 10 to 13, 2009, concurrently with the 90th...
CEans, Our CE Events section aims to be world's #1 spot for all the information/updates on engineering events across the world. Please help us in listing the engineering events in...