Are product reviews on Flipkart honest?

Well, I named Flipkart because they are synonymous with online buying in India. However, this discussion is about checking out the honesty of the reviews of products posted on Flipkart and other eCommerce website. I browse Flipkart quite often and read product reviews; and lately I've began observing a trend in the way these reviews are written. I ignored first few times; but this is getting really unbearable now. Most of the buyers tend to base their purchase decisions on the reviews written by other people. I wonder whether these reviews are honest and seek your opinion on this.

First Observation: There's a pattern in the way the reviews are written. Most of the reviews will begin with praise for Flipkart's service and followed by pros and cons. I've seldom found anyone written so detailed reviews for free! I've bought so many items on Flipkart and never thought of writing a review myself. I wonder how Flipkart gets so many 'reviewers' who write reviews in above-average English. I smell rats!

Second Observation: Most typically, the reviewers urge you to 'buy' the product. Really? Also, there is a pattern in which the products are 'star-rated'. Nearly 70-80% of the ratings are 'excellent or 'good' and there are about 5% reviews that indicate that the product is poor.

This has a tremendous influence on the buyer's mind. A typical buyer would think that since majority of the buyers are happy with the product, the product would be worth buying.

My question is - do you think the product reviews written on Flipkart are written buy genuine buyers and Flipkart isn't paying the reviewers? Of course I'm not generalising. There must be genuine reviewers too. I'd love to seek your opinion on the topic.

Replies

• Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    I've bought so many items on Flipkart and never thought of writing a review myself.
    I second you. I too never write such a review. So that seems fishy really.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I think the trend has it that they hire content writers to write the reviews.

Most of the reviews will begin with praise for Flipkart's service and followed by pros and cons.
    Really interesting observation!
    Now that I think of it, most of the times the reviews begin with -
    "First of all, thanks to Flipkart for delivering the product right on time. The packaging was really well done and.. blah blah"

👀 Something is fishy!
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    It seems fishy for top reviewers but not always. Whatever I product bought from flipkart, reviews seems genuine to me. Probably I seek reviews more on dedicated product websites and amazon,com (I don't think there is question on amazon reviews) also.
    Regarding flipkart, I have seen some top reviews very ridiculous on flipkart like on most expensive headphone. If flipkart is monitoring the reviews those reviews should have been removed.
    It's all mix, but I prefer to go to product, customer reviews, Youtube videos on dedicated portal rather than just on Flipkart but yes, Flipkart reviews influence to dig the product but not to buy it.

"First of all, thanks to Flipkart for delivering the product right on time. The packaging was really well done and.. blah blah"
    I agree but, Flipkart packaging is really awesome. 😁
    I bought a backpack, which I was expecting in small box but it came in awesome hard board box like something delicate product is inside it
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    I had a doubt that they had people to write reviews applauding Flipkart service and product but that is not on all products.Many products which i surfed had no reviews and few ratings !.May ne they try to Boost selected items.

Note that people tend to read only first few reviews.so there is a chance that Flipkart promoting reviews that were positive to first in list.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I believe they do hire content writers to write the product descriptions. A unique and informative product description would give Flipkart a better rank in search results; because of a better overall SEO score.

I think hiring people to write reviews would also help them get a better SEO score -> more traffic -> more conversions -> more money!
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I think hiring people to write reviews would also help them get a better SEO score -> more traffic -> more conversions -> more money!
    This be more interesting that, they are hiring people who can extract reviews from amazon and translate for Flipkart ☕.
    I would definitely do this...
  • Satya Swaroop Dash
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    That is the trouble with any e-commerce website. I always look of "Certified Buyer" reviews who give three stars to the product. Every product has its pros and cons and if someone is giving 5 star reviews to everything sounds fishy.
    When it comes to review, I wrote two or three once then I just thought it was a waste of time.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I have a feeling that people tend to write reviews only in 2 extreme cases -

1. They are 'touched' by the excellent features of the product.
    2. They are angry. They hate what they have bought.

In both cases, they will log-in to the machines and type out a lengthy review for the others to see.

In the rest of the cases, it should be either hired content-writers or super-geeks who will review their product no matter how average it is by typing a spec by spec comparison. (which is QUITE rare) 👍

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Lasers can now be used by the police for much more than speed-limit enforcement, thanks to a team of researchers from Military University of Technology in Warsaw, who have developed...
With an aim to re-define the way people look at automotive enthusiasts and the automotive industry linked to it, a startup called 'Motor Chronicles' was founded by Nakul Patel, Aashish...
what is use of chamfering ,centre cut and sensor in brake pads?
Hello Klick is a physical button which is inserted into audio jack 3.5 mm of your Android smartphone.Once inserted, using its app you can assign code to the task and...
The impatient early adopters of web browsers may fire up their Canary and Dev download channels to download 64-bit Google Chrome on Windows 8 and 7 machines. Google's Will Harris...