Anti-corrosive element in mild steel

I would like to know that which is anti-corrosive element in mild steel.
What i can do to prevent mild steel from rust (corrosion) in mainly monsoon season ?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Thread moved to Metallurgy Engineering section
  • strider6
    strider6
    Mild steel has no anti-corrosive element. i mean is not a stainless steel that has chrome and other elemetns. your mild steel will corrode in the atmospher, the only way to protect it is to paint it with a good paint. have a look at these documents:

#-Link-Snipped-#

#-Link-Snipped-#

#-Link-Snipped-#

hope this help

S
  • gohm
    gohm
    yeah the smellting/refining aspect gives it some protection however as mentioned to prolong the life of mild steel and add an anti-corrosive element exterior treatment with an inhibitor is your most viable option. por-15 and many other epoxy style coatings are a very durable & economical option.
  • Dr R.T.Jadhav
    Dr R.T.Jadhav
    hetangbkd
    I would like to know that which is anti-corrosive element in mild steel.
    What i can do to prevent mild steel from rust (corrosion) in mainly monsoon season ?
    There is NO anticorrosive element in mild steel. MS is nothing but Iron. You also cannot prevent its rusting (corrosion) as corrosion is a process which can be minimised but cannot be totally prevented. Various methods are known to minimise corrosion in MS. One is by applying a protective coat such as Painting. Another is Galvanising in which you give a coat of Zinc. The Zinc being more anodic than Iron in the Galvanic series, corrodes at a faster rate (than had it been present alone) and the Iron corrodes at a much reduced rate (than had it been present alone). Thus the Iron or MS gets protected at the cost of the Zinc which is sacrificed.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Wow! Can't believe! Sir, its you on CrazyEngineers!

CEans, Dr. R.T. Jadhav taught us chemistry when I was in first year of engineering! Welcome to CE, Sir! We are honored to have you to guide us. 😀
  • strider6
    strider6
    the only "mild Steel" that have some element to prevent corrosion is the weathering steel that contains small amount of copper and other elements that form a layer or patina on the surface and protect from further corrosion.

#-Link-Snipped-#

s
  • Ernesha
    Ernesha
    The anti-corrosion performance of polyaniline–thiokol rubber (PANI/TR) composite coating covered on mild steel exposed to artificial brine and hydrochloric acid environments was evaluated for the first time. The PANI/TR composite coatings were electropolymerized and deposited on mild steel in a nonaqueous solution. EDS, XPS and SEM were all used to characterize the structure as well as the component of the PANI/TR composite coating, which has indicated that its structure would be favorable to the corrosion protection. The results of potentiodynamic polarization and electrochemical impedance spectroscopy (EIS) demonstrated that the PANI/TR coating was much better than polyaniline (PANI) coating both in the adhesion to the mild steel substrate and in the corrosion protection. The corrosion potential was about 100 mV more positive for the substrate coated with PANI/TR film than that with PANI. As a result, the corrosion of mild steel can be inhibited greatly by using the PANI/TR composite conductive polymer as a protective layer.
  • tsmessi
    tsmessi
    Hello everyone. Nice to meet you all.😁

Agen IBCBET Online Terpercaya - Situs Sabung Ayam S128 - Pret personnel en ligne et de comparer les meilleurs taux afin de... La demande de prêt personnelen ligneAgen IBCBET Online Terpercaya - Situs Sabung Ayam S128
  • Dr R.T.Jadhav
    Dr R.T.Jadhav
    Ernesha
    The anti-corrosion performance of polyaniline–thiokol rubber (PANI/TR) composite coating covered on mild steel exposed to artificial brine and hydrochloric acid environments was evaluated for the first time. The PANI/TR composite coatings were electropolymerized and deposited on mild steel in a nonaqueous solution. EDS, XPS and SEM were all used to characterize the structure as well as the component of the PANI/TR composite coating, which has indicated that its structure would be favorable to the corrosion protection. The results of potentiodynamic polarization and electrochemical impedance spectroscopy (EIS) demonstrated that the PANI/TR coating was much better than polyaniline (PANI) coating both in the adhesion to the mild steel substrate and in the corrosion protection. The corrosion potential was about 100 mV more positive for the substrate coated with PANI/TR film than that with PANI. As a result, the corrosion of mild steel can be inhibited greatly by using the PANI/TR composite conductive polymer as a protective layer.
    The Questioner fundamentally wants toknow IFTHERE IS ANY ELEMENT in Mild steel which can act as an anti corrosive element. The quote above advices on coating.
  • gohm
    gohm
    I think the OP actually wanted both forms of information as also asking if there is a way to prevent rust during monsoon season.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I can't take this any longer. 1200 civilians killed. 400 of them children. They are even using them as a testing ground for experimental weapons. This is massacre!!! You don't...
hey...!! in the given circuit...i cant figure out the function of transistor...!! ie. is it acting as a switch or an amplifier...?? Its a BJt pnp transistor...!! If it is...
hi frnds.. i'm an electronics student.. pls tell me which field is good in upcomin yrs to earn more money😕...
Sign language is by no means a substitute for hearing, but it is a start…a way to communicate with others.The truth about learning sign language is this. It’s not dramatic....
Hello all. I am a Civil Engineering student in Tennessee and I randomly came across this site while surfing the web. I thought I would check it out and maybe...