Answer the Interview Questions!

If the Interviewer asks you the below questions, what's your answer?

1. Why are you here? In the sense, Why are you knocking on my door, rather than someone else's door?

2. What can you do for us? Mean, "Would you be part of the problems we already have or part of solution to these problems? what are your skills and how much do you know that is of interest to us?

3. Why should I hire you?

3. What are your weaknesses?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I'd answer them as follows -

1. Why are you here? In the sense, Why are you knocking on my door, rather than someone else's door?
    Sir/Madam, I'm here because I am looking for a job. I believe I'd keep knocking the right doors until any one opens for me. I believe that is the best thing to do.

2. What can you do for us? Mean, "Would you be part of the problems we already have or part of solution to these problems? what are your skills and how much do you know that is of interest to us?
    My focus will be on understanding the problems and then trying to be a part of the solutions to the problems. I believe past (3 or 4) years of engineering education have taught me to be a problem solver. I am prepared with the basic knowledge of and I am willing to learn new skills.

3. Why should I hire you?
    I've been a consistent performer throughout my engineering education and I am passionate about (coding/circuit design/machine design etc.). I've had a good exposure to being a team-player and contributing to projects.

4. What are your weaknesses?
    I get upset very quickly. That has been my biggest weakness so far. Now a days I keep my composure by telling myself that thing's won't be always the way I expect them to be. In short, I've understood Murphy's Law.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Great answers , I see few people answering for 4th question in a positive way.

Ans: I dont go to sleep or I stay impatient until and unless my work is done etc etc.. its ok , if the statement is true. If not then it unnecessarily gives problems.

And to answer in Biggie's way, you have to know what is Murphy's law!! Read it too.
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    @Biggie : Nice answers. But Are you sure about your 4th answer. Do Interviewer give you the job?
    And By the Way, What is Murphy's Law?

@ES : Yes, I have seen the same answer with lot of people.
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    Hope this thread will be helpful to lot of students like me.

Few more Questions,

5. Can we afford you? Mean, If we decide we want you, how much will it take to get you and are we willing to pay that, governed as we are by our budget and by our inability to pay you as much as the person who would be above you on the organizational chart?

PS : To answer this question, you should know your value, Isn't it?

6. How are you different from others?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    sahithi pallavi
    @Biggie : Nice answers. But Are you sure about your 4th answer. Do Interviewer give you the job?
    And By the Way, What is Murphy's Law?

@ES : Yes, I have seen the same answer with lot of people.
    We are humans, not supermen and superwomen. I remember I was asked the same question in Infosys (for a team-lead position) and I had answered exactly the same. The last thing I'd do is hide the truth or tell lies.

I think no interview will deny the job to you if you tell them the truth. I'd hire anyone who is well aware of his/her strengths and weakness. That's my experience, however. I'd like to hear from others about their opinion.
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    The_Big_K
    We are humans, not supermen and superwomen. I remember I was asked the same question in Infosys (for a team-lead position) and I had answered exactly the same. The last thing I'd do is hide the truth or tell lies.

I think no interview will deny the job to you if you tell them the truth. I'd hire anyone who is well aware of his/her strengths and weakness. That's my experience, however. I'd like to hear from others about their opinion.
    You are exactly right Biggie! Even Myself answered to my trainer like this, but he told me not to do this in interviews. He asked me to say like what ES said ones. That's why I asked you whether it will work out in interviews or not.
    Thanks for the nice piece of information. πŸ˜€
  • Deepika Bansal
    Deepika Bansal
    if I'll have to answer the 4th question, I'll ans it like: I am so determined that i generally go crazy after a challenge and then I don't know where to stop........!!

I dont know if this is a good ans for an interview but this is me.......
    Seniors and friends please improve my answer....
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    @Pallavi: "I'm Impatient" is one of the most famous 'weakness' these days. We were conducting a recruitment drive at a well-known college (I guess about 3 years ago) and almost everyone I interviewed in line told me that "I'm very impatient and want things to get the things done right away". Most often, interview trainers tell candidate to answer your 'weakness' in 'positive sounding' way. I personally find it very stupid. A weakness is what it is 'a weakness'.

To extend this further, I'm strictly against looking at candidates or candidates selling themselves to companies as "Products" where the seller says everything is positive about the product. I'm even against calling humans as 'Resources', as they are normally called in many IT companies.
  • chirag_kotadia
    chirag_kotadia
    I also got the same question "Whats ur weekness" as prepared I answered impatience stupidly and HR asked me to explain. I feel pity on myself as I explained in positive way as u all answered.
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    i will answer 4th question like this
    i never get satisfy with my work ,i always try to find negative points in my work and because of this weakness i had to regret on myself
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    goyal420
    i will answer 4th question like this
    i never get satisfy with my work ,i always try to find negative points in my work and because of this weakness i had to regret on myself
    My question as an interviewer would be: Why do you think that is a weakness? I think that's a most positive quality and concern about your work.
  • chirag_kotadia
    chirag_kotadia
    Totally agree with biggy.
    You should not answer each and every question in fancy way. Be what you are and dont show off wrong personality. After all those interviewees are experienced and know more than us. They havent reached that post without experiencing what we do. So they know us very well. This question is straight forward. Every interviewee wants answer that is proper. If he wants positive Quality in this q why should he ask?

I think we should answer our own weaknesses. I would have answered "I lose my temper when someone lie or cheat with me." As this is indeed my weakness.
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    The_Big_K
    My question as an interviewer would be: Why do you think that is a weakness? I think that's a most positive quality and concern about your work.
    Yes sir agreed ,but sometimes it leads to lack of confidence in myself ,say if i have prepared for some ppt ,but i am not satisfied with my work ,then it that case it may ruin my whole work
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    πŸ˜€ Everyone will have his/her own answers. It could be yours. How would you answer, "Okay, so what are you doing to overcome that weakness?"
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    The_Big_K
    πŸ˜€ Everyone will have his/her own answers. It could be yours. How would you answer, "Okay, so what are you doing to overcome that weakness?"
    well for that .I put my best in my work and try to attain a certain level of satisfaction from my work.
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    One more model of HR questions for you..

---> If you and your pet were walking...

They will say only this phrase and you have to continue the rest immediately without any delay.
  • Varsha0802
    Varsha0802
    The_Big_K
    Most often, interview trainers tell candidate to answer your 'weakness' in 'positive sounding' way. I personally find it very stupid. A weakness is what it is 'a weakness'.
    The same happens in my college. Our faculty has asked us to modify one of our strengths into a weakness so that it does not sound bad, for ex: I am hard working- I can't sleep without completing my work and that sometimes creates problems for me...

I don't think such things help. Being honest is the best thing.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    @Varsha: That's my point. Imagine being in place of the Interviewer and interviewing hundreds of candidates, when everyone repeats the same weaknesses and strengths the Interviewers will surely know something's fishy πŸ˜€ . I've been through such situation. Let me tell you, it's not very easy to fool interviewers. They got that 'seat' after being through many interviews.
  • narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    lol pallavi i answer as my dog put her another leg forward to move front
    i think this answer may be correct and iam just joking not consider it
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    The_Big_K
    @Varsha: That's my point. Imagine being in place of the Interviewer and interviewing hundreds of candidates, when everyone repeats the same weaknesses and strengths the Interviewers will surely know something's fishy πŸ˜€ . I've been through such situation. Let me tell you, it's not very easy to fool interviewers. They got that 'seat' after being through many interviews.
    You are right Biggie.

In a Mock Interview, Our trainer asked me "What are your weaknesses?"
    I said "Sir, I am not so good at planning. I used to plan my day in a better way. But at the end of the day, I can't manage all the things I had planned. Now-a-days I keep learning myself to organize all the things in a better way. And I hope I am doing so."

Yes, Its true about me. I know an Interviewer will easily know Whether we are saying correct or wrong. That's why I said that.

He asked me not to say that in any other Interviews. He told me the list of weeknesses and asked me to select one πŸ˜”

Fair?
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    @Sahithi: It doesn't sound fair. But, he might have said so to test you for stress environment.

Be optimistic πŸ˜‰
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    Let anything happen, come what may, you got to be honest. Being honest won't get you a job 100 percent, actually, a honest person may lose in 60 percent of interviews, but the honest person must be optimistic. Because, when you are honest, you have a chance to get a job in a place which will suit you.
    You should fit into a place which is exactly of your shape. Never change your shape according to the shape of the space.
    Don't be an amoeba, be a being with flesh and bones.
    The colleges and their placement training centres aim at 100 percent placement. For that, they will go to any level. And the students have no other option but to follow their tune as they are pressed by the society to get a job even before you pass out from the college. Students, wake up and understand the fact that you are ruining your lives if you are trying to "adjust".
    Sorry and thank you.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Let me tell you one of my experience a 6 months back.

I have copy pasted my first page of resume from my brother's resume πŸ˜› *Sorry for that, now I changed it*

I went for an Interview. He asked me about few lines in that copied content.

I said I dont know , he said its in your resume.

I said I copied it from my brother's resume.

The point here is , copying is not good. But never try to say something if you dont have idea about it. If you have done a mistake admit it.

I got selected in that company but I didn't join there for few reasons.
  • bhargava.megha
    bhargava.megha
    English-Scared
    I have copy pasted my first page of resume from my brother's resume πŸ˜› *Sorry for that, now I changed it*

I went for an Interview. He asked me about few lines in that copied content.

I said I dont know , he said its in your resume.

I said I copied it from my brother's resume.

The point here is , copying is not good. But never try to say something if you dont have idea about it. If you have done a mistake admit it.

I got selected in that company but I didn't join there for few reasons.
    @ above
    it is ur luck ........but it is not always go in ur favour. and 4m my point of view it is not right
    it shows ur irresponsibility , lenience that is at least u hav to read it & understand it before enter 4 the interview
  • bhargava.megha
    bhargava.megha
    sometimes telling our weakness (in negative) ,make feel negative 4 the company point of view to interviewer .thats why every time give the answer to weakness in negative(exactly what is ur actul weakness) is do not favorable...........
  • Radhika Deshpande
    Radhika Deshpande
    From my personal experience- Everything is in hands of the person sitting next side of the table. So Study well and try be true as much as possible. Show certain level of confidence and comfort.
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    bhargava.megha
    sometimes telling our weakness (in negative) ,make feel negative 4 the company point of view to interviewer .thats why every time give the answer to weakness in negative(exactly what is ur actul weakness) is do not favorable...........
    Please read my above post.
    If they think negative & they do throw you out,that is because they think you are not fit for them.If you tell all the lies or show only your positives,they'll select you, but its u who is going to suffer.πŸ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Let me tell all of you once again - Do not even try to fool the Interviewers. It's very easy for them to catch your lies. I've done it for so many candidates.
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    Thanks Biggie.

sahithi pallavi
    Hope this thread will be helpful to lot of students like me.

Few more Questions,

5. Can we afford you? Mean, If we decide we want you, how much will it take to get you and are we willing to pay that, governed as we are by our budget and by our inability to pay you as much as the person who would be above you on the organizational chart?

PS : To answer this question, you should know your value, Isn't it?

6. How are you different from others?
    No takers?? πŸ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I said "Sir, I am not so good at planning. I used to plan my day in a better way. But at the end of the day, I can't manage all the things I had planned. Now-a-days I keep learning myself to organize all the things in a better way. And I hope I am doing so."

He asked me not to say that in any other Interviews. He told me the list of weeknesses and asked me to select one :sad:
    What did you do when he asked you to pick a weakness?

[PS: I'm starting to lose faith in Interviewers as well. ]
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    The_Big_K
    What did you do when he asked you to pick a weakness?

[PS: I'm starting to lose faith in Interviewers as well. ]
    I said "Sir, I can't do this. I know all the Interviewees will say these. But I want to be my self and I explore myself."
    He tried to convince me, But I didn't.

And he is a very good trainer Biggie. Only in this part, he said like that. πŸ˜”
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    sahithi pallavi
    I said "Sir, I can't do this. I know all the Interviewees will say these. But I want to be my self and I explore myself."
    He tried to convince me, But I didn't.

And he is a very good trainer Biggie. Only in this part, he said like that. πŸ˜”
    It's really interesting. What options did he gave you? What was his reaction when you said that? If this was a training session, what was his feedback?
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    He told me, "If you are not good at planning, How can an Interviewer will hire you? They always wants organized candidates. So, kept your weakness aside and select a good one".

Options like I am very Impaitent, I won't have my food or sleep until my work was done, I am very workaholic and so on.

I said "Sir, They asks me my weakness and I will say my weakness. Its my weakness, that's it. And as you see, I mentioned that I keep learning to plan well and I am doing it. So I think the Interviewer won't think that I am not efficient to do the job and may be there is a chance for Interviewer to think about my honesty".

Feedback was not given to us. Just He asked the questions!

By the way, If you are an Interviewer, What do you think about my weakness?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I personally hate liars and I'd have been happy to hear that answer. It shows your honesty and that's what any employer wants. As I said earlier, we are humans and we are not perfect. To tell you frankly, I'm still bad at time management (which seriously goes against me these days) and I am fully aware of it. It makes me stay alert and not procrastinate things I normally do.

It's common sense, isn't it?
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    yes, you are right. Its just common sense.
    And Its shocking to hear about the time management from you Biggie, really. But no problem, Definitely you will do well.

Most of the people fails to get their jobs in answering their strengths, weaknesses only. Interviewers definitely ask us the examples, experiences about them. And I am sure we can't answer if we lied and we get caught. Why all this head-ache, let's be frank. Its secondary if we get a job or not.
  • bhargava.megha
    bhargava.megha
    sahithi pallavi
    I mentioned that I keep learning to plan well and I am doing it. So I think the Interviewer won't think that I am not efficient to do the job and may be there is a chance for Interviewer to think about my honesty".
    they may ask u What r u doing 4 time managment????????
    how we can believe on u that in company u will manage all the task in time limit??
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    For fresh graduates, the company trains the new employees and in the initial days, they are made to work on limited tasks. So that's where they can learn the time management.
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    bhargava.megha
    they may ask u What r u doing 4 time managment????????
    In Previous days, I want to do the work in a right away. So I used to plan lot of work in a single day but I can't do that. I understood that was my problem and now I am planning my work by assigning time. So that I can make better.

how we can believe on u that in company u will manage all the task in time limit??
    Just Give me a chance, I will show you how perfect I am and I assure you that I wont cross your dead lines. And I hope you won't put over work on my shoulders 😁

And as Biggie said, training is very helpful for freshers to get adaptable to office work.
  • Deepika Bansal
    Deepika Bansal
    Please help me with the question: tell me something about yourself..
    This is the very first question in every HR interview, I suppose, and is very crucial for the first impression...

And how the answer to this question is going to be different then that on our strengths and weakness...
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    Deepika Bansal
    Please help me with the question: tell me something about yourself..
    This is the very first question in every HR interview, I suppose, and is very crucial for the first impression...

And how the answer to this question is going to be different then that on our strengths and weakness...

I think this thread will help you, #-Link-Snipped-#
    I used to start it from "As you know, I am ******* And that's about me in brief and I am ready for the further questions."
    And I think 30-40 seconds is enough for a fresher to give his/her introduction. Isn't it?
  • bhargava.megha
    bhargava.megha
    sahithi pallavi
    I think this thread will help you, #-Link-Snipped-#
    I used to start it from "As you know, I am ******* And that's about me in brief and I am ready for the further questions."
    And I think 30-40 seconds is enough for a fresher to give his/her introduction. Isn't it?
    please define in detail.because this is very important Q, & give the first impression on interviewer . i also very eager to know about this Q
    please Share your experience so that it will b very helpful for freshers
    Thanx
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    It depends on your own. I am just saying my answer, I don't know how much it correct. Elders, Please correct me If I am wrong in anyway.

As you know, I am . I born and bought up in . I have completed my Bachelors in Computer Science and you know I am a fresher. . And coming to my family, My Father is an and my mother is an . . And That's about me in brief and I am ready for the further questions.

May be it takes 30 seconds. I think its enough for a fresher as we don't have any work experience to describe that. But Don't tell the information that you had already mentioned in your resume.
  • Deepika Bansal
    Deepika Bansal
    sahithi pallavi
    Don't tell the information that you had already mentioned in your resume.
    Yes sahithi you are right. Answer to this ques should not be your resume....
    Someone suggested me not to mention you academic percentage in this answer....
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    Deepika Bansal
    Yes sahithi you are right. Answer to this ques should not be your resume....
    Someone suggested me not to mention you academic percentage in this answer....
    Yes, we should not mention the academic percentage.
  • bhargava.megha
    bhargava.megha
    thanx pallavi
  • shreyasm89
    shreyasm89
    Thanx pallavi...but how should we answer 'why should we hire you'?as a fresher
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    shreyasm89
    Thanx pallavi...but how should we answer 'why should we hire you'?as a fresher
    I hope this helps you, #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Guys,

I am in the interview panel ( least experienced so I only ask questions on my knowledge QTP). We were interviewing a girl yesterday.
    And,
    Q: What are your weaknesses?
    A: I want to work on blah blah ....
    I Intervened and said weakness in the sense we need the improvement areas etc.
    A: Oh! yeah. my communication skills.

One of the person from our team in the panel(experienced) said after the interview that "She is not selected"
    The reason is she is expressing her weakness, which is not fair. I am πŸ˜•

I asked her what is the answer you are expecting?
    she said that "Some thing which is positive is expected"
    and she said, she answered "Working hard is my strength and my weakness" we need answers in this way.
    I am just shocked, discussed the actual meaning of weakness.
    Now the person we interviewed is through to the next round.

So , I think not only young engineers people who are experienced and think that they know everything should also understand how to interview.

PS: Many thanks to CE for creating threads like this, since this actually says what actually a question is.
  • shreyasm89
    shreyasm89
    πŸ˜€Thanks a lot pallavi!...You rock!
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    English-Scared
    Guys,

I am in the interview panel ( least experienced so I only ask questions on my knowledge QTP). We were interviewing a girl yesterday.
    And,
    Q: What are your weaknesses?
    A: I want to work on blah blah ....
    I Intervened and said weakness in the sense we need the improvement areas etc.
    A: Oh! yeah. my communication skills.

One of the person from our team in the panel(experienced) said after the interview that "She is not selected"
    The reason is she is expressing her weakness, which is not fair. I am πŸ˜•

I asked her what is the answer you are expecting?
    she said that "Some thing which is positive is expected"
    and she said, she answered "Working hard is my strength and my weakness" we need answers in this way.
    I am just shocked, discussed the actual meaning of weakness.
    Now the person we interviewed is through to the next round.

So , I think not only young engineers people who are experienced and think that they know everything should also understand how to interview.

PS: Many thanks to CE for creating threads like this, since this actually says what actually a question is.
    I don't know even the experienced Interviewers will think like this.
    That's why the freshers are confusing with that question.
    You are well done ES πŸ˜€

@shreya : My pleasure. Even I am learning much here πŸ˜€

PS : Don't we have HR's in our CE??
  • Deepika Bansal
    Deepika Bansal
    @ES: strange...
    now I think we freshers should prepare ourselves for all types of interviewers...:sshhh:

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Better Gmail 2 Better Gmail 2 is a Firefox add-in that lets you customize Gmail, including letting you decide whether and how to show "Blind CCs," what information the sidebar...
The following video will give you a general idea about how to install a Digital Video Security System using a PC. Check out the video: [video=youtube;TB62Z3eR_t0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB62Z3eR_t0[/video]
With WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange and 'Wikileaks' itself regularly appearing in news, there is a thought flowing around that, what would happen if a service like wikileaks is operational in...
Woz is one of the coolest and nicest people on the planet, he's someone that everyone should read or see at least once. Some people call him 'The Wizard Woz'...
i am 3rd B.tech electrical and electronics engineering student,i was interested in purely electrical mini projects.so many of my friends are telling study oriented project is best one for electrical...